Main Menu

What's It Worth: 'Cuda Rocker Moldings

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 24, 2022, 04:49:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Hey all,

What would one expect to pay for a set of original 'Cuda only rocker moldings?  May have a line on a single side and a pair, but prices are miles apart....are these relatively rare and generally  :bigmoney: thanks.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

mk

If purchased a pair of originals that were straight with no chips but need  to be repainted to be very nice for $250 ....... not sure if that's a going price but gives you an idea.

70_440-6Cuda

thanks for the heads up, found a pair for $650 which seems steep.  I have a line on another one but it is right side only and needs to be repaired for $200.  I have been looking but seem to only find Gran Coupe style....thanks for the feed back
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

cuda hunter

At carlisle this year I purchased a set that needs repainted for 250.
There were several sets the same for 400.
There were a few sets for 600-650 in painted shape and ready to install.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70_440-6Cuda

Thank you , that is very helpful!!  I am always afraid if I dont grab what I find I will miss it

Matt13

70_440-6Cuda

If you are asking if reproductions are available, the answer is yes.  The prices I was quoting are for originals.  I am not using reproduction parts if I can avoid it.  I know costs will be higher in most cases, but worth it to me.  Just trying to determine reasonable amounts to pay for some of this stuff as prices can be all over the map.  Also, I was told if you find what you need jump on it as good used parts are getting extrely difficult to find

Cuda_mark

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on August 25, 2022, 08:17:29 AM
If you are asking if reproductions are available, the answer is yes.  The prices I was quoting are for originals.  I am not using reproduction parts if I can avoid it.  I know costs will be higher in most cases, but worth it to me.  Just trying to determine reasonable amounts to pay for some of this stuff as prices can be all over the map.  Also, I was told if you find what you need jump on it as good used parts are getting extrely difficult to find

I'm with you. I try to use original or NOS whenever possible and my car is a clone. I did end up buying the repop rocker gills though because I just couldn't find a set that wasn't completely wasted. In the end, I ended up spending quite a bit of $ getting the repops to look right. They had to be masked and painted black on the flat part of each gill. I actually saw a set of originals on craigslist yesterday...one of them was good and the other had a small piece missing. I tried to find the listing for you today when I read this but i can't seem to find it now. Maybe it expired.

benguin

Painting them correctly will be an adventure.   I've got that on my 'to do' list.  I've got the right paints, and stocked up on masking tape, now just need to get the time.

This is yet another of those parts that I wish I'd stocked up on.  Just checked, these listed for $50.29 in 1978, and with my local dealer discount they were $37.71 apiece.  (Let me know if I should start including a "You know what these USED to cost?" in the threads.)

The word I got on how they did it on the line was spray the black, then a couple of quick passes with a roller with the argent.

Here's a pic I've got of a survivor with low mileage showing the factory paint.

Cuda_mark

I was wondering how they painted them originally. There doesn't seem to be a good high production process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anlauto

Excellent reference photo, it's not that often you see them that clean. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: Cuda_mark on August 25, 2022, 09:55:54 AM
Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on August 25, 2022, 08:17:29 AM

I'm with you. I try to use original or NOS whenever possible and my car is a clone. I did end up buying the repop rocker gills though because I just couldn't find a set that wasn't completely wasted. In the end, I ended up spending quite a bit of $ getting the repops to look right. They had to be masked and painted black on the flat part of each gill. I actually saw a set of originals on craigslist yesterday...one of them was good and the other had a small piece missing. I tried to find the listing for you today when I read this but i can't seem to find it now. Maybe it expired.

Funny you should mention the Craigslist ad as I am pretty sure that is the set I just purchased.I would be embarrassed to tell you what I paid for them! :bigmoney: but again it seems to be that if you don't grab what you find then you are out of luck.  Seems to be slim pickings on the West Coast, although we will see what happens  at Van Nuys. @benguin great photo, I was going to be asking if anyone had a decent close up next!!

RUNCHARGER

I masked mine when I did them but if you restore them the way they came from the factory they should have the black painted first and then the argent. When painting the argent you spray towards the back, no masking. Think production line fast and efficient, not show car quality.
One of mine came to me in 3 pieces as well, it wasn't a big deal to fix at all.
Sheldon

Fastmark

I went to buy a set from the dealer in the last 70's and all they had was left sides still in inventory. I was thinking that I could just put a left side on the right side and no one would notice! Lol. Just a dumb kid. I've still got them and never found a right side NOS at all. Oh well.

cudamadd

I had to buy a set here in Australia which a guy was not going to use . They cost me $650.00  oz dollars close to $800 u.s dollars . As a point of interest I counted each painted edge and there are 70 just another mopar little thing I guess