Main Menu

WIW - 14" Set of Spider Wheels

Started by Crocha617, July 10, 2017, 07:36:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Crocha617

These are on a 1971 Barracuda Convertible I just bought. Anyone know what they are worth or have interest in them?

ec_co

those might have been a dealer installed option http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=386    :dunno:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

ec_co

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Cuda Cody

Neat wheels.   :bradsthumb:  How's the rest of the car look?

70/6chall

Check this out guys, found another old advertisement, these are some pretty unique wheels. Looks like maybe dealership sold, pretty rare also.    Thanks,   Al

Crocha617

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 10, 2017, 08:06:49 PM

Here you go Cody. Alan don't look at the last 2 pictures...

ec_co

stunning 'vert! I like the pin striping on it  :bigthumb:

unless you had the original dealer sales order, hard to know for sure if they were sold new with it. but its certainly in the realm of possibilities. 

Crocha617

RUNCHARGER

I'm not crazy about those wheels but I believe there is following for them. I believe the lug nuts are a big deal too. Kori Alexander in Red Deer Alberta (ShownGo Restorations I think) is one guy that has an interest in them.
Sheldon

Crocha617

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 10, 2017, 08:35:51 PM
I'm not crazy about those wheels but I believe there is following for them. I believe the lug nuts are a big deal too. Kori Alexander in Red Deer Alberta (ShownGo Restorations I think) is one guy that has an interest in them.

The guy I got the car from told me he was offered $3000 for them years ago at a car show. I figured the guy thought they were recall wheels or something else. They will not be staying on the car so if anyone knows anyone that is interested in them contact me. I'm going to try and buy something to replace them at Carlisle this week. I can even bring them to Carlisle with me if someone is serious about them. RUNCHARGER if you have contact info for that guy please pass it on. Thanks

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

6bblgt

I'd be interested in the lug nuts!!  :yes:

14" Spyders don't seem to get much attention or $$ - the (un-flat-spotted, they stick out past the tire/wheel) caps & lug nuts are worth more than the 14" wheels.

my brother had a set of my 14" Spyders on his GTX - he has since upgraded to 15"
I've tried unsuccessfully to sell the 14" versions but they are still here - I think I had the bare wheels for sale at $300 for the set

at one time I had a dozen plus 4-1/2" bolt circle 15" SPYDERS

6bblgt

Motor Wheel Corp. SPYDER WHEELS (late-'68 to mid-'70s) at the time Motor Wheel Corp. was owned by Goodyear and their factories made the "road" / "rallye" / and most of the steel wheels our MOPARS (and many others for the "big 3") came with new. 

I think any of the dealer OPTION claims are more "urban legend" or a dealer that offered any "MAG" wheels of the day to customers as accessories. no factory association

they can be found in 4-1/2", 4-3/4" & 5" bolt circles - but most are 14x5.5", 14x6.0" or 15x6.0 - typical for mag wheels of that era.

They are HEAVY and carried a higher weight rating than typical "mags" and are often seen on vintage drag racing wagons & big cars.  To get on the mid-'70s "PRO STOCK" playing field - Magnesium SPYDERS hit the track!!  :wowzers:

anlauto

Quote from: Crocha617 on July 10, 2017, 08:19:23 PM

:haha: :ohyeah: looking good...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Crocha617

Quote from: anlauto on July 11, 2017, 04:02:17 AM
Quote from: Crocha617 on July 10, 2017, 08:19:23 PM

:haha: :ohyeah: looking good...

You looked.....