Main Menu

WIW: 171 Master Cylinder and Bendix Booster for 1970 E body

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, February 20, 2023, 02:39:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have an opportunity to purchase a 171 master cylinder and Bendix booster, both completely restored.  Assuming they are the correct parts for a 1970 e body, any idea what a fair price would be? I tend to be over anxious when I find stuff like this and end up paying too much.  My understanding is they could be dealer replacement parts, not necessarily date code correct, but part number correct.  This is an out right purchase, no cores (my car has a Wilwood conversion do MC and booster are long gone)

My understanding is the MC is a hard to find part so would like to pick these up if it makes sense.

Any input is appreciated - thanks --
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

three two barrels

Very curious as well as I am looking for a 171 master cylinder, don't need the booster though.

mike ketterer

what are cores going for. im going through my spare parts. ill be listing a bunch of parts in a couple weeks. most will be listed on t/a aar lost and found

EV2RTSE

There's a restored 9171 master cylinder on facebook for $1750, it's been there 4 days so I think it's safe to say it's overpriced.  :)
The last restored 70 booster I saw was listed for sale at $650 and it sold quickly.

cuda hunter

That part is in demand.  Even if it is over price a few hundred bucks, it's in your hands.
Several of us want to buy that part so I'm sure it would be in your best interest to get it.
Otherwise, list it here.

1500 bucks. 

You mentioned the booster as well.  Best to pick up the whole thing.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks all - asking price is close to $2K for both, but both recently restored.  Much appreciate the feedback.

@cuda hunter I agree, $100-$200 either way for a high demand part is not a big deal, but as I get more information here I have come to realize that I have substantially overpaid for some parts in the past.

Thanks all, will let you know how it turns out
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70_440-6Cuda

Hi All, some pics of the booster I am thinking of buying, want to make sure it is the correct application for a '70 'Cuda, and get some feedback on the group of condition - has a bit of pitting on the front half, but not too  major.

Feedback on condition, and also date code - was looking how to decode but cant find that one....thanks as always!

VCODE

What I can add is the linkage is 70 Only and hard to find. It uses a spring on the linkage also.

70_440-6Cuda

Quote from: VCODE on February 24, 2023, 01:50:27 PM
What I can add is the linkage is 70 Only and hard to find. It uses a spring on the linkage also.

Are you saying what is there is the correct '70 linkage?  Sorry to ask so many questions, but there are SO many details and differences I want to make sure I am getting the right part - thanks1

EV2RTSE

Sure looks like it. Definite plus that the linkage is included. The check valve looks to be a generic one that the rebuilders use, it works fine but of course isn't correct. Maybe you can use that as a bargaining chip. NOS check valves are getting to be hard to find and expensive. ($150) The AAR & T/A check valves seem to be running around $250. Nutty. Are you pulling your hair out yet? Mine's almost gone, lol.

Edit: If you're on Facebook this subject just came up the other day-
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ebodies/posts/6483614598350654/?comment_id=6484796098232504&notif_id=1676675318835725&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&ref=notif

On the top edge of the booster by the port for the check valve will be a bunch of numbers. One will be the part # and some of the others will be a date code. If you can get those and post them up someone should be able to help.

70_440-6Cuda

I do not see any other numbers other than what I posted...unless I am missing something which is entirely possible!

Ans YES, I am pulling my hair out....whats left anyway... SO much to know and SO easy to get taken advantage of - and so many parts that seem impossible to find!

JH27N0B

Bendix stamped date codes light enough that after rusting and media blasting, it's most likely obliterated on that part now.
With some prep and a good paint job it would likely look decent restored.

EV2RTSE

Here are a few examples of where to look, the numbers are often not fully stamped and the location seems to vary as well. Also over time and with pitting sometimes they're no longer legible. And then too once the booster is painted unless it's a very good stamp it will likely be covered over. So unless you're out to win the Mopar Nationals or something not a big deal, IMO. The booster looks to be the real deal. The 8550 on it basically clinches it anyway.

benguin

My Nov 69 Hamtramck build has the pentastar 18268, but not the additional numbers in that section. The 8550 stamp and the nuts look identical though. Possible supplier/date produced difference?   Suspected original, as I've had it since '77.
  Ben

70_440-6Cuda

Man, you guys are good - not sure how I missed this....

Can anyone help with what the numbers mean??