Main Menu

489 case 3.23 rear chunk

Started by JH27N0B, February 18, 2018, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I have a 489 case open 3.23 rear chunk that I've had kicking around since the early 80s.  Would need cleaning up and some refurbishing be ready to use.  What is market value on these?

Cuda Cody

That's a good gear.  With the right HP that gear is hard to beat for all around driving.  Good off the line punch and doesn't redline on the freeway.  Good luck with the sale a sale.

Katfish

A little different but I just sold a 741 with 3.55 gears, it was a sure grip but with cone center section for $400 and it was a known working unit I just pulled.
I know people prefer the 489 over the 741, but the open gear will lower the price.
I would think right around $300

VCODE

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 18, 2018, 08:35:43 PM
I have a 489 case open 3.23 rear chunk that I've had kicking around since the early 80s.  Would need cleaning up and some refurbishing be ready to use.  What is market value on these?

What is the date code on the case?
Bob

fc7cuda

Quote from: VCODE on February 19, 2018, 04:57:23 AM

Bob

:iagree: post afew pics may pay off for you.  :alan2cents:

mopar jack

You might consider keeping the 3.23 if the 3.55 doesn't work out for your driving needs, you will be able to switch back. With a service manual and some time you can pull the sure grip unit from one and install on the other. You don't have to upset the ring or pinion gear settings. When I bracket raced my car I had 3.23, 3.55, and 3.91 gears and two sure grip units that I could swap.

RUNCHARGER

$300 is the first number that pops into mind but it could be as low as $50 depending on condition IMO.
Sheldon

anlauto

I needed to find a 489 case a while back, I had plans for all new guts anyways.....my buddy had a 3:23 open he wanted $200...I passed because all I was going to use was the case itself....

If it's it good usable condition, then I guess it could be worth $300.00 :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Quote from: VCODE on February 19, 2018, 04:57:23 AM

Bob
Where does one look for the date code?
I wouldn't be surprised if this came out of a 71 cuda 383.  I got it with a 70 V code Challenger project I bought 35 years ago that had a number of things including the engine/trans and seats that came out of a 71 cuda that was stripped.

JH27N0B

Quote from: mopar jack on February 19, 2018, 08:06:23 AM
You might consider keeping the 3.23 if the 3.55 doesn't work out for your driving needs, you will be able to switch back. With a service manual and some time you can pull the sure grip unit from one and install on the other. You don't have to upset the ring or pinion gear settings. When I bracket raced my car I had 3.23, 3.55, and 3.91 gears and two sure grip units that I could swap.
My convertible already has a 3:23 sure grip.  Now that I think of it, its case has a hairline crack and it seeps a bit of stinky gear oil when I drive it.  I could probably use this spare chunk's case to install the gears and everything to resolve that. It would be a somewhat big job because I'd have to haul everything off to a shop to get that swapped and set up. Years ago I cut a notch in the crack and filled with JB weld, and the leakage is minor now, so that issue isn't high on my triage list.
I'm asking about value because a friend is looking for a 3:23 489 case.  I mentioned to him I had this one over a year ago and he didn't seem too interested in mine then and in the time since he hasn't found one, so finding one must not be too high on his triage list either!
If he's still not interested now, maybe I'll keep this to use the case to replace my cracked one someday in the future.

VCODE

Quote from: JH27N0B on February 19, 2018, 03:57:39 PM
Quote from: mopar jack on February 19, 2018, 08:06:23 AM
My convertible already has a 3:23 sure grip.  Now that I think of it, its case has a hairline crack and it seeps a bit of stinky gear oil when I drive it.  I could probably use this spare chunk's case to install the gears and everything to resolve that. It would be a somewhat big job because I'd have to haul everything off to a shop to get that swapped and set up. Years ago I cut a notch in the crack and filled with JB weld, and the leakage is minor now, so that issue isn't high on my triage list.
I'm asking about value because a friend is looking for a 3:23 489 case.  I mentioned to him I had this one over a year ago and he didn't seem too interested in mine then and in the time since he hasn't found one, so finding one must not be too high on his triage list either!
If he's still not interested now, maybe I'll keep this to use the case to replace my cracked one someday in the future.

On the left side lower front, may have 3 or 4 numbers between screws cast in housing.
Thanks Bob