Main Menu

WIW: Complete Rear End and Leaf Springs

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, September 20, 2022, 09:42:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

Hi all - just wondering what  I might expect to get for the 8-3/4 complete rear axle assembly out of my 70 'Cuda?  I found a date code correct Dana and am hoping to recover at least some thing for the current set up.  It has a 489 case but I do not have details as to what gears (I would guess 4:10s) or when it was built.  It is complete hub to hub with the leaf springs.  I do not have ay decent photos but hoping to at least get a realistic range.  I have been told you can't give them away, and also talked with someone who couldn't find one from under $3K so  :notsure:

Thanks for any input from the group

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

57Fury440

1970 and 1971 Barracudas came with a 7 & 3/4 inch rear. Anyone wanting to upgrade one of those would want your rear. The 8 & 3/4 rear is a good assembly. Max Wedges came with these. Is it a sure grip? You can approximate the ratio by turning the axle and counting how many times the pinion turns. As far as what they are worth, I can't help with that.

70_440-6Cuda

It is a Sure Grip - I will be getting some pics and details off of the gears once I get it pulled out... thanks for the info!  Anyone on value??
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Skdmark

Lots of variables will play into the value.

With or without brakes, shock plates, pinion snubber etc.
If it comes with brakes are they 10 or 11 inch?
What type of leaf springs? Standard, HD, XHD
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70_440-6Cuda

It will include brakes, snubber etc. - totally complete.  As for the brakes I will have to take a look.  How do I identify the springs?  They are not Hemi / heavy duty springs as far as I know

Brads70

I would say the " value" is in the center section. I'd remove it as whoever buys it will want to inspect it.
FWIW I just scrapped a housing  as I couldn't give it away. I think you will find most people are looking to do the B-Body swap/spring relocate option for bigger tires.
As for a value on the center section ? I'd post some pictures? Fresh rebuild? original? Mileage on it? Is the sure grip in good shape and not worn out?

70_440-6Cuda

@Brads70 that is sort of what I have been hearing - cant give them away but then I also hear guys looking for them are seeing prices in the $3k range.  Honestly, I would be happy to get something at all and have it go to good use.

As for build, I do not have the history, but there is no whining and all works / runs strong.  Will have to open it up and get a look at what is there.  Not even sure the gears are still original...

anlauto

For what it's worth...the complete brake set-up will bolt right to your Dana 60 if it doesn't have brakes  :alan2cents: if your car has power disc brakes, it should have 10" rear brakes not 11"
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on September 20, 2022, 12:33:29 PM
For what it's worth...the complete brake set-up will bolt right to your Dana 60 if it doesn't have brakes  :alan2cents: if your car has power disc brakes, it should have 10" rear brakes not 11"

:iagree: I bolted on my 10" drum set up to the S60 Dana that went in my Javelin. FWIW a b-body Mopar rear end bolts right into a 71-74 Javelin 68-70 too I think?

Katfish

Tried to sell my complete 8.75 E-Body rear with 3.55 sure grip for $150.......................nada interest
Ending up selling just the center section for $350, to someone local, shipping any of these is an issue

Skdmark

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on September 20, 2022, 11:49:25 AM
It will include brakes, snubber etc. - totally complete.  As for the brakes I will have to take a look.  How do I identify the springs?  They are not Hemi / heavy duty springs as far as I know

There are part numbers on the springs.
If they are XHD springs and someone wants an OE resto they woud have some minor value. You can buy part number stamped leafs to replicate XHD springs from Tony's parts.
https://www.tonysparts.com/all-parts/3400024-34-1970-1971-E-Body-440-6bbl-Hemi-Lower-Leaf-Springs-p372008385

If they are standard or HD springs then no real value.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

R/T's 4 R/P

70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

70_440-6Cuda