Main Menu

How to raise rear of car with leaf springs ?

Started by Racer57, September 10, 2021, 08:02:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I want to raise the rear 1 - 2 inches. Currently its the same height at all corners.  Does it require changing the main spring or can it be left and lower springs below the clamps be changed ?  Main reason I ask, is the main is going to be a bear to take out due to the rear valance hanging down and wrapping around. Everything is basically new so rust isn't an issue, its just getting to it.

MoparLeo

The proper way to "raise" the rear is to get different springs that have more of an arch than the factory which are designed to be essentially flat.
Changing springs is a pretty straight forward job. Can be done alone but always best to have an extra set of eyes and hands.
No special tools other than good jack stands and a good floor jack.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Filthy Filbert

I would have custom springs made if there's not an off the shelf option that you like.  (Aren't the Super Stock springs taller?)

If you wanted cheap and easy you could try longer shackles.   But that's about as hack as using air shocks.

anlauto

Some spring will add a leaf, pretty common back in the day...find yourself an old school spring shop, usually still around for large trucks. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

The rear valance isn't that hard to remove. I would remove it and the remove the springs and have them re-arched at a spring shop. I did mine, it's not that hard really. Just be super careful removing them that there's no tension on them.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Racer57

Quote from: anlauto on September 11, 2021, 05:18:28 AM
Some spring will add a leaf, pretty common back in the day...find yourself an old school spring shop, usually still around for large trucks. :alan2cents:

Where is the extra added at, below the main or at the bottom ? There is a spring shop 50 miles away in Terra Haute. I thought that if it was possible to just add one spring below the main, I could do it myself quicker than spending the day out of town.

headejm

What about just adding the two position spring hanger? Seems like a reasonably priced option if it works.

HP2

Simply adding a leaf doesn't provide lift, it increases rate, which will reduce bottoming the suspension, which doesn't seem to be your problem. The exception being if that added leaf is designed with extra arch the will bend the existing pack to a higher arch. Some 4wd add a spring kits are designed for this.

Some spring shops will re-arch and add a leaf to an old spring pack to provide both more arch and more rate because they are dealing with a 50 year springs pack that needs both. Springs do wear over time and loose both arch and rate.

Some springs shops will dis-assemble the spring pack and bend/re-arch the leafs to achieve the desired lift, then re-assemble them.

Super stock springs are designed for competition and will usually provide 2-4 inches of lift along with increased spring rate and increased control ratio, and will require new spring hangers and new shocks. In addition to the extra static lift, super stock springs will also provide 2-4 inches of body separation/lift under acceleration.

anlauto

Yea I agree with HP, you should bring it to a spring some and tell them what you want to achieve  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Montclaire

ESPO in Pennsylvania sells e-body springs with 1" and 2" lifts.  They are a great company and their prices are reasonable. I've used them before and have been very happy with the product quality and service.

Racer57

Quote from: headejm on September 11, 2021, 07:36:41 AM
What about just adding the two position spring hanger? Seems like a reasonably priced option if it works.
I think those lower the car.

JS29

Quote from: Montclaire on September 11, 2021, 08:54:47 AM
ESPO in Pennsylvania sells e-body springs with 1" and 2" lifts.  They are a great company and their prices are reasonable. I've used them before and have been very happy with the product quality and service.
X2  Vary happy with them!  :yes:

chargerdon

what is wrong with simply switching the rear shackles with 1 or more inch longer ones ?   Is this too simple ?

anlauto

Quote from: chargerdon on September 11, 2021, 01:37:27 PM
what is wrong with simply switching the rear shackles with 1 or more inch longer ones ?   Is this too simple ?

They will likely hit the rear valance if they're too long ? :dunno:

Montclaire

Call and ask. They've sold enough of them to know if you'll have an interference issue or not.  They are NOT flat like the old mopar performance springs.