Main Menu

WIW Cuda Rear Side Marker

Started by 71vert340, February 05, 2022, 04:38:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

Digging through a box of parts the other day and came across this rear side marker for a 70-71 Cuda. I don't need it and I know they are reproduced. The small lens is cracked. The large lens is good. Thanks.
Terry W.

anlauto

I'd buy the two acorn nuts off of it... :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ns1aar

Mr Cuda

Hey, I'm still looking to hear with what it's worth.

Mr Cuda

So....what are they going for?

anlauto

They used to bring good money, but since there are now reproductions available, the price and the desirability have dropped off tremendously in my opinion...I would say $150-$200 for a set of four...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

71vert340

Classic industries sells all four sidemarkers for $540 in reproduction. I figure if someone is doing a restoration and wants original parts, a nice set of four that are complete should go for close to that. It looks like the ones CI sells don't have the acorn nuts or the back plates in their photo so you may still have to come up with those pieces on your own. If I were doing a 100 point restoration on a Cuda and needed original parts I'd pay at least $400 for a complete, nice set. I've paid alot of money for nice original parts for my Challenger convertible instead of buying reproduction parts. So, it's what people would pay. Put a really nice, complete set together and see what they go for.
Terry W.

anlauto

Well I certainly agree when it comes to the acorn nuts ;) I'm still looking for some... :pullinghair:

I guess putting them up on eBay would let you know what people are willing to pay for original parts :dunno: If you can get $500/set...all the power to ya ! :drinkingbud:

71vert340

My point is, reproduction parts may look good but they aren't always correct. I recently bought the side marker lights for my 74 Charger and they looked good but didn't have all the markings like the original. I compared the reproduction e-body door handles to some Dodge made ones and the repros look good but are not correct. I'll include some photos of the door handles showing comparisons. As many say on this site, "original (OE) is best". The door handle rubber bumpers are different. Repro handle has a rubber pad glued on. See photos.
Terry W.

anlauto

I'm aware of the differences, I deal with it everyday. I completely agree there is still a market with people that only want OE parts for their restorations, however my point was there is a HUGE market of people who don't care and would rather just install new reproduction parts then deal with the hours involved in resurrecting 50 year old parts and hoping they can make them look new again, plastic lenses and reflectors especially.

20 years ago, finding nice 70-71 Cuda marker lights were like finding a needle in a haystack and they commanded big dollars...Now for $540... ready to go .... :dunno:

The reproduction parts, if not drove down the price of originals, they certainly have killed the demand... :alan2cents:

71vert340

I agree Alan. I have been buying NOS or good used OE parts for my convertible for decades in case I ever need them. Same for my 74 Charger. I have a friend who was in an accident on the way to a car show with his car. Having the spare OE parts to repair a car is a must especially if the car is a show car. To me, time invested in repairing OE parts to like new is time well spent on a show car. A driver, not so much. The boxes of OE Cuda sidemarker lights @Mr Cuda posted will be wanted by someone either to complete a restoration or as spare parts for a restored car. If they were mine, I'd put several complete sets together as you suggested Alan and post them for sale and see what they bring.
Terry W.

Ns1aar

I've been watching Ebay on these for several months Seem anything over 100 doesn't move and anything under may not be all that nice
Most won't show part number so that doesn't help them move

Mr Cuda

I've watched ebay and seen c body  ones being sold as E.
Or it's junk.
Original is the way to go. Maybe a replacement reflector for brightness.

I will agree that cars built back from the dead with all repro panels should lower the concern about using reproductions

Cuda_mark

Quote from: Mr Cuda on February 08, 2022, 08:06:07 AM
I've watched ebay and seen c body  ones being sold as E.
Or it's junk.
Original is the way to go. Maybe a replacement reflector for brightness.

I will agree that cars built back from the dead with all repro panels should lower the concern about using reproductions

I've seen C body ones being sold as E's as well. Gotta watch out for that!