Main Menu

WIW: E440 6 Pack Engine

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, August 30, 2022, 01:02:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

I have a friend is pulling out his 440 6 bbl engine and swapping for a Hemi and am thinking about picking it up if the price is right.  Thinking about swapping it into my '70 while I rebuild my original engine so I can take my time and still be up and running.  I want to be fair and have a figure in mind but have no clue if it is realistic.  The engine pulls strong, sounds good at idle, no smoke or issues.  Engine is a complete long block, has correct 6 bbl heads and balancer, a holly 4 bbl on it with MSD distributor, no pulleys.  Supposed to have relatively low mileage, but cannot confirm rebuild status or age.

I could not get the VIN, but the stamp on the distributor pad is E440; 3 7 3 HP.  Casting on the side of the block is 1.14.69, 2536430-5.

There is no history on the engine, so obviously no guarantee it doesn't grenade in the first 100 miles.  Just wondering what a reasonable price would be and opinions / information on what to look for other than what I have listed.  Thanks

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

JS29

If it's still in a vehicle,  do a compresses test. you could put a mechanical gauge were the oil pressure sending unit go's and that will give you an idea of it's value is.   :alan2cents:   

Mr Cuda

I guess my question is...
Is it a 69 440 with a six pack, or a heavy rod 6 pack motor?
To my knowledge, there is no 6 pack heads.

70vert

Quote from: Mr Cuda on August 30, 2022, 03:10:17 PM
I guess my question is...
Is it a 69 440 with a six pack, or a heavy rod 6 pack motor?
To my knowledge, there is no 6 pack heads.

Agree, an HP block is the same whether six pack or not. Probably really need the VIN stamping to get a good value.

6bblgt

there wasn't much different for a '69 440+6 engine VS a '69 440HP engine that wouldn't be discarded in a rebuild: cam/lifters/springs (besides the intake/carbs/air cleaner)

the parts that were different were the same castings/forgings with different treatments/machining: no heavy rods, no different balancer, no big oil pan - those didn't happen until 1970 model year

the stamped VIN would confirm 1969 A12 origins

70_440-6Cuda

All,

Thanks for the input - learning as always!  Just to be clear, my friend is not claiming it is anything special, said it was out of an original 6 pack car, but the six pack manifold and carbs etc. are long gone, so really it is just a '69 440 HP that was rebuilt at some point and "feels" like it is a strong motor.  Assuming compression test is good, I guess I am just looking for a ball park figure.  He said the VIN stamp starts with 9B or 90 but cant see the rest.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

6bblgt

all 1969 440 3x2bbl cars (A12 Road Runner & Super Bee ONLY) & engines came from Lynch Rd. "9A"
"9B" would be a Charger R/T (Daytona) or one of the 440 A-bodies (GTS or 'cuda)
"9C" or "9D" would be from a C-body

70_440-6Cuda

He said definitely 9B. Anybody hazarding a guess how much it would be worth?  Considering I am seeing bare blocks selling around $1500-2K I am guessing it would be more than that for a complete running engine, but how much more is the question???   :dunno:

Fastmark

I build engines, sell lots of blocks and know several people looking for 69 HP blocks. That engine is probably a $3000 engine at the least. If it runs good, maybe more.

70_440-6Cuda

Thanks for the input, appreciated - he is going to pull a compression test and said he is going to advertise at $5k OBO and see what happens - a little steep for my purposes.  Personally I think he would take $4000-4500 but who knows.  If anyone is interested PM me and I will send his info along - thanks