Main Menu

WIW - EXPERIMENTAL HEMI HEADS

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 02, 2019, 04:04:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

They are probably a mid 60s head & if the engineers  were 25 years old  then they would be 75 or better now  :bye:

BIGSHCLUNK

Neil, I'm thinkin they are 64/66 range (guess??) ? They guy I got all the HEMI parts from a few years ago had no clue either. And these guys raced for years. In the past I've had a few arguments the the "6" was actually a "5"... NOT! 

1 Wild R/T

Back in the late 70's I would have known something, I had a book that covered all the hemi heads, there were experimentals considered D-1, D-2, D-3 & by the time it got to D-4 & D-5's they weren't really "experimental" but they sure weren't "production" either...  There was also testing of intake ports in kind of a H shape...    Forty years ago I read & absorbed all the info but since then my Hemi got sold in the mid eighties & I haven't owned another... I know a local who would know about them (Harry Holton) but I haven't talked to him in a couple years & I can't see bothering him.... If you go to the "Class Racer" forum Jared Jordan & Julie Jordan post there & could help... Julie is Harry's daughter & Jared is his grandson...

BIGSHCLUNK

I'm aware of the D-1 ect ect... Even the local #'s guru's had NO CLUE. I've always felt maybe these were like a D-3.5ish  due to the # proximity... but I really don't know.

RzeroB

I don't know about the head ... but then again I don't know about this "mega hemi hoard" from a few years ago either ... but I sure would like to hear about the hoard now ... :please:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Chryco Psycho

They may have snuck out of the research dept in a lunch pail !!

RzeroB

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 26, 2019, 03:21:47 PM
They may have snuck out of the research dept in a lunch pail !!

:haha:  Supervisor: "Where are you going with that forklift?" Line worker: "I got to pick-up my lunch pail."  :haha:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RUNCHARGER

There were lots of running changes to those heads until it came to an end. My experience is they aren't worth a lot, as to make them work takes more $$$ than just buying new Stage V or Edelbrocks. I've had a few assorted sets over the years, none just like that but close.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: RzeroB on June 26, 2019, 03:21:24 PM
I don't know about the head ... but then again I don't know about this "mega hemi hoard" from a few years ago either ... but I sure would like to hear about the hoard now ... :please:
I had a post on this years back on C-C. Through a friend I found out that Gary (last name withheld) was selling out his stash of HEMI parts. Gary and his brother raced an alcohol car back in the day. Any way this was a BUY ALL or get lost deal. Of course the day I get over there, a guy is there ahead of me trying the pick and play route. I can see Gary is gettin' more pissed off by the minute. I'm thinking...  :bricks:  :headbang: I'm screwed! Anyway Gary tells this guy go pound sand - all or nothing. Guy leaves with his tail between his legs.

Ok BIGS is up to bat. I see some valuable stuff, and things I consider crap. But as we all know in this hobby - crap to me just might be gold to you. Bearings / rods (stock and alum)/more pistons than a guy could ever use/ blocks / heads / push rods/rocker assy's/ex man's/clutches/valve covers/other crap I can't even remember. Lots of the parts were new.

It filled my explorer 3 X over! My leaf springs were concave hauling all this stuff and it took up a third of my 2 car garage. I sold a crap ton of stuff over the next 2 years. Some prolly way cheaper than I should have, but I had so much of it and felt I bought it right. Don't get me wrong Gary was no dummy, this stuff was not free. He claimed he was offered 2k for the heads at one time. But he didn't know what they were either. So he didn't sell them (duh...).  He told me - if you ever find out call me just so I know. Which I will do. He did tell me who originally (supposedly??) had them and how they were acquired. That's a story for another day.
\
Any way through the years I still sold a little here and there. And shipped all over the country. I still have the experimental heads (obvious). A pair of alcohol heads, I think I still have an early balancer still laying around. I have a RAMCHARGERS oil pump kit, that I'm keeping just cause it's RAMCHARGERS from back in the day. And a Hillborn air scoop (cool garage art! ).

Any way , yes I have made money on this stuff. But it's been lots of work too. I just found this under my desk. I forgot it was there..... yes it's part of the original horde  :burnout:

BIGSHCLUNK

So a guy on youtube tell's me they are D-3's   :rofl:   And then asks what I want for them.... so I ask him WIW??  Of course, no reply  :pokeeye:

Chryco Psycho