Main Menu

WIW: NOS HEMI H Pipe

Started by Cuda_mark, November 02, 2023, 07:27:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda_mark

NOS 70-71 E Body HEMI H Pipe 3404567

I see the ECS reproduced version is $750 so what would this NOS one be worth?

Floyd

No idea on value.  Is that Cuda or Challenger?  They're different right?

Cuda_mark

They are the same for Cuda and Challenger according to the parts book.

mccannix

Cuda and Challenger dont use the same Hemi H-pipe.
If you scroll down a little farther in the parts book, you'll see Challenger Hemi H-pipe is part number 3404579...
remember Challenger is a few inches longer than Cuda....that is where they make up the difference in exhaust system.
As for value, purists will pay more for real,  even if it does have rust issues that can be addressed

Cuda_mark

Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah, the rust is just some slight surface rust. It will clean up nice.

JH27N0B

I seem to remember an article in Mopar Action years ago about the black hemi cuda that the late Dave Walden did a concours restoration on, that said what he paid for the NOS H pipe for the project was almost enough to buy a new compact car!
That seems ridiculous but who knows.  Sometimes it seemed like Dave would pay outrageous prices for parts just so he could brag about it afterwards.
I can only speak for myself, but when I have a rare part or car to sell, deep pocket guys are nowhere to be found. When Dave did that concours Valiant restoration, he boasted he paid $900 for the master cylinder.  I seem to recall noticing it wasn't even a good date code for the car.  I have a great date code assembly line one I would have felt guilty selling for much over 1/3 of that.  But he didn't consult with me!
Point being, the top dollar someone might pay for a part, and what some nobody might be able to sell it for, can be drastically different.

Cuda_mark

Yeah, I'm not going for top dollar..just what a fair price would be. My project is done and I'm just liquidating what was left over.

JH27N0B

One recommendation would be to call high end shops that do OEM restorations like Apex and Mancini and ask if they have any clients gathering parts for a hemi cuda restoration who might be interested in it, and if so, see what they offer.
Come up to MCACN in a few weeks and network there.
I will be there and should do the same, I have a NOS Mustang master cylinder I picked up years ago I'd love to find a new home for, no idea of value or how to sell.  I wish I'd listed it on eBay when it was still a good place to sell stuff!