Main Menu

WIW - Restored E-Body Woodgrain Wheel

Started by Floyd, June 16, 2021, 05:05:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I had this wheel restored about 15 years ago by Jerome Verbit.  It was a good core with no cracks and has not been used since being restored.  What's fair asking price? 

Thanks!

Cuda_mark

Floyd

No, Jerome was out of PA and restored steering wheels and made a variety of reproduction components for e-body converts, shakers, and rimblows.  He passed away a few years ago and ai believe his son is still doing steering wheels.  He was the only game in town back during the heyday and his wheels were used by many of the high end restorers (Roger Gibson, etc).

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda_mark on June 17, 2021, 06:06:38 AM
Is Jerome Plumbeeper?

No Jerome past away a few years ago, I think maybe his son took over the business ??
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

JH27N0B

I was able to buy one of his restored wheels many years ago off eBay.  One if those cases where I got lucky and not too many people were bidding so I ended up with it for around $200.
I'm sure it's worth more than that.
I didn't use it because I thought it to dark compared to well used originals I looked at.  Later I saw pictures of an NOS one and it looked dark, so maybe his restoration was accurate.  It's now installed on my T/A but I'd like to see an original in person some day to get an idea of the correct original hue.

benguin

@JH27N0B, I thought the same about the darker tone.  It would be great to find one that is NOS to see if the years of use/UV lightened them up much.

Mine has no cracks, but has always been a lighter shade (since 77, when I bought it had one of those vinyl stiched on soft covers).   

I'd be interested as well, with a deferral to @ec_co or anyone needing a near perfect wheel.

Skdmark

Checking completed/sold auctions on Ebay show that  complete 3 spoke wheels in good condition needing restoration go for $150-200.
I would start there and add in the current cost of a resto.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Floyd

Thanks for the replies.  I plan to take it to Carlisle or the Nats so the buyer can see it in-person. I'm going to list it here along with some other parts I'm taking. 

76orangewagon

I bought a nice one off moparts for $100 a few years ago and had the seller ship it directly to the restorer...a year later paid him $325 to send it to me all pretty and new looking.