Main Menu

1970 steering column differences. Cody question

Started by rftroy, February 15, 2018, 03:42:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rftroy

I'm looking into modifying a stock steering column and shaft for electric power assist. Column tubes and shafts appear readily available, but I'd like to put 1970 style collars on the top of the column tube. From what I can see, the 70 column tube has a piece at the top that supports the lock out shift tube.  If I I am deleting the lock out feature on the column, will the 1970 collars and other components fit on the 71 through 74 tube?
Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

Interesting question. I would say yes, only because the main outside tube is the same from 70-74 E Body....If you're starting with a 70 column, you should be able to remove the inner tube without it affecting anything. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on February 15, 2018, 04:35:58 PM
Interesting question. I would say yes, only because the main outside tube is the same from 70-74 E Body....If you're starting with a 70 column, you should be able to remove the inner tube without it affecting anything. :thinking:

Except that the inner tube is what supports the middle collar...

rftroy

Ah.  That is the question I had.  So, if the inner tube for the lockout is needed to hold things together in the 70 column, then this may not work, as I will be cutting a section about 4 inches long out of the column and the shaft.

I have a 70 and a later year complete column here, so I guess I will need to disassemble both to figure a fix or fabrication of some kind to hold the collar.

Or, I could just use the later model collar and have it not look correct.

Robert
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 15, 2018, 05:24:39 PM
Quote from: anlauto on February 15, 2018, 04:35:58 PM

Except that the inner tube is what supports the middle collar...

NO....the middle collar bolts directly to the main tube, the top collar screws to that.....the bottom collar sits on the retainer at the top of the main tube and rides inside the middle collar.....

I have two disassembled 71 columns on the bench right now and recently restored 4-5 1970 columns...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

1 Wild R/T

I'm sure Alan's right, he's doing them in his sleep, it's been years since I was in one... But I've got on the tear into soon..

rftroy

Sounds good.
I can take apart the top of the 70 column tomorrow and find out what needs to be done, if anything.  Sounds as though Alan says shift lockout tube removal is not issue.

I see from the service manual that the lockout tube is held in with a spring clip at the steering box end.  I watched Cody's steering column disassembly video again, and it appears that the lockout tube does not radially restrain that bottom collar.  That appears to be done by the next collar up that holds the ignition lock?  Guess I'll know tomorrow.

Robert

Edit:  Oh, OK.  What I just wrote seems to be what Alan said in his post.  Encouraging. 
I will make sure to only cut up spare individual column tube and shaft that I get off eBay, and keep the original column able to be reassembled in the future.
RT
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

You'll find that the spring clip has nothing to do with the inner tube....The inner tube is held in place by a small Allen head set screw and will likely have the corners bent over at the center collar.....

Removing the inner lock-out tube from a 70 column will work, guaranteed without any cutting or mods...In fact you can assemble the lower and middle collars to the main tube before even worrying about installing the lock-out tube when doing a stock restoration. :alan2cents:

rftroy

Great Alan.  Thanks.
But, isn't the lockout tube retained with a spring clip at the bottom?
Robert
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

anlauto

Quote from: rftroy on February 15, 2018, 08:35:34 PM
Great Alan.  Thanks.
But, isn't the lockout tube retained with a spring clip at the bottom?
Robert

NO....that spring retains the white plastic bushing that the inner lock-out tube rides on. It in no way retains the tube.

rftroy

OK. Got it.
Thanks.
I've got the service manual, and Cody's video, so I shouldn't have a problem.
Robert
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red