Main Menu

14" wheels with disc brakes

Started by GoMangoBoys, July 18, 2020, 06:07:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

Does anyone know if the 14" Rallye wheels will fit on my 70 Challenger with the conversion to 73 disc brakes?  I was planning to buy aftermarket 15" rallye wheels but came across a great deal on a set of 14" wheels yesterday at our local swap meet in Canfield Ohio.   The seller of the wheels assured me that they will fit, but people aren't always honest when they are trying to sell something.  I did talk to another guy later in the day who said that he had a 70 cuda and that they would fit.  We are not quite ready to put our discs and calipers on yet so I can't just put them on and try it at the moment.
Thanks

xx88man

Typically they fit BUT I did have a reproduction calliper on my car earlier this year that rubbed the 14" Rallye wheel. It looks the same but it rubbed. I could have removed a little material if I needed to make it work but I just changed it out. So I would say you're good as long as they are factory calipers
Keep yer foot in it

73_Cuda_4_Me

i have factory front discs with 14" rallye wheels on my cuda...

:bradsthumb:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

340sport

Not sure if it's the same, but I have 14" Rallye wheels and disc brakes on my 73 A-body.  I hope this helps

Chryco Psycho

I would pass , the tire selection for 14" wheels is very poor

Northcuda

My Barracuda was in 14" with power brake disc when I bought it.
Like Chryco Psycho in 14, there are few good quality tires.
A Barracuda 70 that wants to be as big as a Cuda Trans am.

YellowThumper

Agree as well 14" tire availability is rapidly disappearing.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

6bblgt

1972 - 1974 A & E-bodies only had 14" tire/wheel combinations available - so yes, they should fit

if you are doing a "stock" type restoration, the stock 14" performance tire in '70 was F70-14 (modern equivalent 215/70/14) & one size up G70-14 (225/70/14) both are currently produced by the normal: BFG, COOPER, and a few more

GoMangoBoys

Thank you all for your responses.  Regarding the availability of tire sizes, I am happy with the choices of tire available.  I have already spent a ton on this project and I got a steal of a deal on these wheels (at least it seems so to me right now).  If my son is not happy with the availability of tires some day, he can buy his own 15" wheels.  I was originally planning to buy the 15" rallye wheels from Summit for $125 each.  Instead, I paid $150 for the whole set of these that I bought yesterday.  The caps and rings are not perfect, but they are decent.    We will clean up the onse we got and keep our eyes open for some upgrades along the way.  I am pretty sure we will go with the 225/70/14.

6bblgt

consider the '70 ONLY "rallye wheel" center caps - they are the same 14" VS. 15"

GoMangoBoys

So once again, my ignorance becomes apparent.  I did not realize that there was a difference in the center caps.  I guess I should be more observant.  I sure would like to get a set of the proper center caps.  These will do for now I guess.  Buy the time I buy the right caps, these are not such a great deal.
Thanks for the input.

YellowThumper

Not asked but is of importance is what disc conversion do you have? Factory setup or aftermarket?
Aftermarket takes many liberties in their design clearances. As do the aftermarket wheel manufacturers.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

GoMangoBoys

Using factory disc brake setup for a 72 or 73 B body.

71383bee

Running the 225/70R14's on 14" road wheels now with factory power disc brakes.  Those rallyes should work.  Agree on the center caps.  You have a set of the later ones. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top