Main Menu

16" or 17" for good tire selection?

Started by torredcuda, July 16, 2021, 05:40:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

I actually would prefer to keep my 15" wheels but realize there is limited performance tire selection for better handling. Is tire selection decent in 16" or should I just go to 17", looking for 90% street with occasional parking lot autocross?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

70vert

I went with 17" for the same reason. You should definitely confirm the wheel & tire selection together, as I found that there wasn't much choice in the 16" size either. I think 18" is the sweet spot for performance tires but I definitely didn't want that big of rim. I had Khumo's first and just put on some Nitto's, both are great but I had really want to go with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. But alas no luck with the size I needed.

Dakota

Between both wheel and tire choices, there wasn't much to look at for the 16" tire that I could find.  I went with 17" front and 18" back.   I only thought about this on and off for about 5 years....simple!

HP2

In 15" reasonable price range,  MT SR line of tires are about the only performance tire out there. H speed rated and soft compound that only good for about 20k miles, with a wide variety of sizes.  There is also is the H rated Maxxis Marauder, but its available isn't as wide. I think Hankook and Nitto also both make a V rated 15" tire, but sizes are very limited.

16" aren't worth bothering with anymore. 17" are actually not far behind them. If you can fit sizes that were OEM on Vettes, Mustangs or Camaros, then  there are a few options out there, but  they are shrinking and increasing in price. As most OEMs have been moving to 18-20 rims for the last decade, this is where the greatest selection  is.

Brads70

:iagree:

That's why I went with 18" ..... much more selection/options  and go for tire performance over mileage as 99% of us don't put on enough miles before they age out anyhow.  :alan2cents:
http://www.team3wheels.com/lt_iii.html      :Stirring:

Purepony

I would say it depends on the look your going for ? Even if 15s are limited and you decide to go with a common 15 size like 2356015 I don't think that's a size that is going to be discontinued anytime soon

The 17-18 is a nice option if your liking for a more modern look but that's my take on it

I'm doing 19/20

7212Mopar

Brad is right. These cars are not daily driven and you have the time in between to tinker them. My tires are now 8 years old that still looks like new tread wise. My car is garaged so they are still good and no cracks.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

MOPAR MITCH

I have a really nice strong set of forged 3-pc aluminum CenterlineX-series rims, size 16x10 that I used to run in competition SCCA AX.... tires size was 275-45-16 F/R.   Time progressed and the 17's came along... then the 18s.   Today, your best performance option is truly 18s with so many mfgr choices.

I run BFG T/As 255-60-15 front, 275-60-15 rear... on my 15x8 minilites... for street/hwy cruising.... and rarely actually drive it as such.

I run my 16x10 rims for HPDE/HSAX using Toyo R888R 255-50-16 tires F/R.. 100 TW.. good for cruising to/from the road race tracks (about 80 miles each way, then lapping sessions and timed competition runs... then drive home)... these are excellent drivable tires and serve dual purpose... fills my wheel wells up nicely (Toyos are typically about one-size larger than advertised).  I've also previously run BFG G-Force Comp-2 255-50-16 tires (340 TW)... OK for street/why... not so sticky on the road course, not good at all on pylon AX.   Also, I used to run that size on 16x8 minilights... were A-OK as well.  Realistically, there isn't anything larger than 255-50-16... for streetable tires.

I'm actively determining on 18" rims... 18x10 F/R... and will go with an easy size of 275-35-18 tire with 200 TW (maybe 295-30-18 Yoko A052)... specifically for pylon AX... and some road course events.  Backspacing/offset is the determining issue... and cost... and performance from the standpoint of weight and strength... and availability.

I'd really like to run 315-30-18 tires F/R... would require 10.5" wide rims at minimum, or 11" wide would better... again, backspacing and offset is critical... and probably a bit more fender stretching.

PS:  In my opinion, the Year One 17x9 Ralley rims are a great option... they have the correct backspacing/offset to fit in our Mopars without any issues... and run 275-40-17 tires F/R..... only those are relatively small diameter tires.

Also, remember... the primary reason for going larger diameter rims is to fit larger diameter breaks... as well as shorter profile tires (sidewalls... for quicker steering response)... but then to realize a slightly stiffer ride (less sidewall)... and more eventual street problems of damaged rims due to short sidewalls/potholes, etc.

70vert

hmm, while I don't drive cross-country in mine I do drive it several times a week even daily till it got too hot in Houston (no AC). Why spend money on performance tires if you don't drive it? Of course looks count. Anyway getting off-topic. It seems we all agree 16" is not a good choice, best to go with either 17" or 18" to get a good selection of tires & wheels.

Brads70

Quote from: 70vert on July 16, 2021, 01:09:50 PM
Why spend money on performance tires if you don't drive it?

My thoughts were, when I was buying tires some people told me not to get Falken 615K tires as the tread wear tire life is short. I bought them anyway as in reality I don't need a 60,000 mile tread life tire as it would take a very long time to rack up 60,000 miles in a car that's not a daily driver( as most of us are in the same boat, I'll be dead before I put 60,000 more miles on my car most likely) so I went for the performance which I have thoroughly enjoyed every time I get in the car! I enjoy out handling most cars on the road.  :yes: Tires are a big part of that.  I put on 3-4 thousand miles a year at best so what do I care if they only last 10,000 miles? After what ? 5 years ? most performance tires are junk anyhow ( grip wise). All tires have a shelf life...sidewall cracking due to age and rubber turning hard is a thing on our " toy cars" . How often do you go to car shows and see 10-20 year old tires on cars?  Scary stuff IMO.   As the old saying/song  goes..... here for a good time, not a long time 
My 2 cents anyhow.... :burnout:

70vert

OK that makes sense and I agree, maybe I miss-understood. I doubt I'll put 60k miles on mine but am definitely enjoying the grip of the Nitto 555 R2 that I put on last year, and they do look pretty sweet too.

Quote from: Brads70 on July 16, 2021, 01:52:08 PM
Quote from: 70vert on July 16, 2021, 01:09:50 PM
Why spend money on performance tires if you don't drive it?

My thoughts were, when I was buying tires some people told me not to get Falken 615K tires as the tread wear tire life is short. I bought them anyway as in reality I don't need a 60,000 mile tread life tire as it would take a very long time to rack up 60,000 miles in a car that's not a daily driver( as most of us are in the same boat, I'll be dead before I put 60,000 more miles on my car most likely) so I went for the performance which I have thoroughly enjoyed every time I get in the car! I enjoy out handling most cars on the road.  :yes: Tires are a big part of that.  I put on 3-4 thousand miles a year at best so what do I care if they only last 10,000 miles? After what ? 5 years ? most performance tires are junk anyhow ( grip wise). All tires have a shelf life...sidewall cracking due to age and rubber turning hard is a thing on our " toy cars" . How often do you go to car shows and see 10-20 year old tires on cars?  Scary stuff IMO.   As the old saying/song  goes..... here for a good time, not a long time 
My 2 cents anyhow.... :burnout:

torredcuda

I prefer the look of classic 15" wheels and the only reason for going bigger is better, stickier tire choices. Right now I`m running stock discs but will eventually swap to the Cordoba style 10.95" rotors. I`d really like to stay smaller and I think 17" look OK but 18" or larger look too big IMO. I`m running these 15" now with 255/60`s on back and 225/60`s front.

dodj

I too prefer the 15" higher sidewall look on a vintage muscle car. But I switched to 17's for better tire. Nitto NT-05's. Pretty close to slicks really but a great dry tire. Less than stellar in the heavy rain.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

I was running BFG drag radials, downright scary in the rain!  :stop:  I want something stickier than the crappy BFG`s but something that still has at least some wet traction also as I drive my car. I`m going to look to see what is available for 17'.

70vert

I've been pretty happy with the Nitto 555 G2. They are rated as a summer tire, are pretty sticky and get decent wet traction (haven't had them out in the rain a lot though). They also come in a pretty good size selection.
https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/nt555-g2-ultra-high-performance-tire/

Quote from: torredcuda on July 18, 2021, 11:51:24 AM
I was running BFG drag radials, downright scary in the rain!  :stop:  I want something stickier than the crappy BFG`s but something that still has at least some wet traction also as I drive my car. I`m going to look to see what is available for 17'.