Main Menu

171 master cylinder

Started by FC7 cuda, October 29, 2017, 05:13:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FC7 cuda

I have a 171 master cylinder that leaks from the cover any ideas to fix this?
Thanks

fc7cuda

BFM_Cuda

Oh wow I'm seeing double...        :rubeyes:

JH27N0B

Is the top of the casting clean, or does it have and scale or rust?  Is that surface pitted?  If any of these, you need to clean it or even have a machine shop mill the surface a bit to make a clean even surface. 
Definately get a new cap gasket if the one you have is old or has some scale or dirt embedded in it.
And one of the best things you can try, is to carefully tweak the bale wire some, so that it exerts more pressure on the cap to provide a better seal between it and the casting surface.

FC7 cuda

It has the original seal .. I will give it a shot with the bail wire first..

Thanks

Floyd

I'd like to get a new seal for my 71 e body with PDB.  I don't see any Chrysler parts on the Dorman site.  Is there another online source?  Thanks

Cuda Cody

Sometimes I have had to take a 2nd seal and cut out the center.  The 2nd seal is just a small ring that puts a lot of pressure on the lid and that has stopped those hard leaks if nothing else works.   :alan2cents:

JH27N0B

Quote from: Floyd on October 29, 2017, 07:28:03 AM
I'd like to get a new seal for my 71 e body with PDB.  I don't see any Chrysler parts on the Dorman site.  Is there another online source?  Thanks
Bruce, I have a NOS correct Dorman here, and it's part number is 705-037.
I looked at that Dorman link and don't see it, in fact the part numbering system looks different.
When I worked at Raybestos/NAPA United we had them.  Not sure if they still have them though.  Look into NAPA and let me know?

Floyd

Thanks Brad.  I have something to go on now.  Will let you if I find anything at NAPA.

Floyd

Looks like the new Dorman Number is 42076 and shows out-of-stock everywhere I look online.