Main Menu

Caliper positioners

Started by Rich G., January 27, 2020, 10:55:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

What are you using for the disc brake caliper positioners that don't break instantly or are you just leaving them off?

jimynick

"disc brake caliper positioners that don't break instantly"  What do you mean, that instantly break?  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

By the mid 90's when we got my 73 back on the road, the wire clips were long gone.  They're absence didn't seem to affect the brake function so when I restored the car I left them off. 

Actually, I didn't even know there was supposed to be anything else on the caliper for years.

Rich G.

Well not exactly instantly but after one very short season of driving I noticed the ends are broken off on some. You would think back in the day you would only have to change them when you replaced the pads. Just frustrated over some of these repro parts and these are not cheap as you know.

anlauto

Wow, never imagined the new ones would break....I've seen old rusted out ones break, but for the most part they usually last a lifetime I thought :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

I guess that's why my 73 didn't have any.  It used the shorter pins from the factory.  I could only find the longer pins at the local parts store so that's what I used.  The original pins had grooves worn in them from the pads so I didn't reuse them.

Solarguy

I've used a brake shoe hold down spring in the past.