Main Menu

2-piece rotors on a 71 Challenger?

Started by xx88man, August 17, 2019, 10:13:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi, I am looking for some help from the experts. I checked my front brakes on my 71 Challenger this morning and they appear to be 2-piece rotors.... any chance a late built 71 would come originally that way? SPD is 609. Any help is appreciated
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

I always thought the spindles were different..... any help on this is appreciated. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

Normal, the spindle uses a smaller inner bearing.. There are rotors available which previously wasn't the case...  But Dr Diff also sells spacers to allow the big bearing rotors to be used....

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

IRON MAN

It appears that the two piece rotors have wheel studs that are swaged in place. This makes it difficult to replace the rotors? What shop does this kind of work anymore? 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: IRON MAN on August 17, 2019, 09:29:04 PM
It appears that the two piece rotors have wheel studs that are swaged in place. This makes it difficult to replace the rotors? What shop does this kind of work anymore?

New rotors are one piece...  The original studs for the two piece rotor aren't available & neither are the rotor hats.... Either replace with a one piece with small bearings, replace with a one piece with big bearings & adapters or track down original rotors with enough meat to be turned & still be safe....

Oh, you can also replace the spindles with big bearing spindles...

And the rotors can be upgraded to 11.75 rotors if you can find the caliper brackets...

xx88man

Quote from: anlauto on August 17, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
Most all 71's had two piece rotors  :alan2cents:

This is my first 71....I thought the 2 piece rotors only came on the 1970 cars. Great information guys. Thanks
:thankyou:
Keep yer foot in it

1 Wild R/T

two piece rotors were used through 72.... Think about it, the big bearing spindles came out in 73...