Main Menu

2017 Challenger tires/wheels

Started by Plumcrazzy, November 19, 2017, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Plumcrazzy

OK guys---this should be an easy one.  My new 2017 Challenger has larger wheels and low profile tires. I admit, I am old school (and at an old age) but the Black wheels and low profile tires are trying to grow on me a little--looks a little sinister :vipermanhiding:
Question # 1:  I have heard and read that the low profile tires wear a lot faster than than tires with the old standard style sidewall height. True or not. Opinions? Experience? I know they provide a harsher ride but better handling but have heard that this type tire is more susceptible to blowouts from potholes and also bent rims. Yes? No?
Question # 2:  These Scat Pack wheels are Black (I think powder coated). Any good ideas on how to personalize the wheels. Please, no gaudy suggestions.  Just some ideas with class and style. I saw some stuff on the internet that was crazy with GIANT wheels that made the Challenger look like a high rise 4WD truck.  :stop: :stop: :foul:

Cuda Cody

Let's see a photo of your 2017 Challenger as it sits right now?   :takepicture:

Dakota

My wife's '07 Mustang had 20" rims and low profile tires (Hankook, I believe - but I don't remember the size).   All that you listed matched my experience.   The handling was great.   You tended to "feel" most of the bumps on the road.   They only lasted about 25-30,000 miles.  One addition:  you have to stay on top of the tire pressure to avoid premature wear, and it's harder to tell visually when the tire is a little soft compared to something with a taller sidewall.

We heard all of the above from the dealership when we bought the car, so no complaints.   She really liked how they looked so that's what we got.   This was her "I've been driving mommy vans for 18 years and I want to have a little fun" car, so there wasn't much of a discussion about being practical.

71-440

Hi Plumcrazzy My 2009 R/T had 20" rims with low profile tires. No problem with them. And I drove that car like I stole it.... :cooldance:
Joe

71-440

I ran the car at beech bend in Kentucky one year on those street tires. Best time was 13.5.
Second year with M&H Drag radials and front skinnies best time 12.9

Joe

Chryco Psycho

Less sidewall height will have more problems with potholes , bent rims & sidewall damage to the tires  .
Drag racing seems to work better with smaller rims & more sidewall but has as much to do with tire compounds / traction too