Main Menu

71 340 cuda w powersteering

Started by culp71, September 14, 2018, 07:55:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

71 cuda, 340/727 with power steering, I got the front all aligned and it handles great.

but I have been noticing that when I am completely stopped with the vehicle running if I take my hands of the wheel, it will slowly turn left by itself, it is slow but consistent, if I let it turn for awhile, it turns back easily with no noise or excessive resistance, if I keep at least 1 hand on the wheel it isn't enough force to rotate the wheel.

but why is it turning by its self while at a complete stop?
thoughts?

73_Cuda_4_Me

Power steering valve (on top of steering box) is out of adjustment, and will need to be CAREFULLY adjusted to center the valve...

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/power-steering-valve-body-installation/8420/msg116192#msg116192
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

culp71

ok, so essentially the placement of the valve body on the steering box housing (side to side) will dictate flow and either center, or cause wheel to move one way or the other. so if I read this correctly, simply I need to loosen the valve body bolts, minimally shift it until the wheel doesn't move then tighten down, right?

73_Cuda_4_Me

The placement of the valve body (front to rear, not side to side) determines centering... you loosen bolts, but NOT all the way (maybe 10 ft/lbs?), then tap valve body LIGHTLY to the front or rear... scribe a mark where it's at for reference before you start! It does not take much movement, either! Tighten up before starting engine, and keep arms clear of steering wheel!

Read factory service manual, if you have one, and follow all safety procedures, especially safety glasses! Hydraulics is nothing to mess with lightly. I've watched a co-workers hand get shredded by hydraulic oil under pressure, and it was subsequently amputated to save his arm...

While I would adjust sector shaft, I would leave valve adjustment to a professional... my  :alan2cents:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Morty426

Quote from: culp71 on September 18, 2018, 11:57:11 AM
ok, so essentially the placement of the valve body on the steering box housing (side to side) will dictate flow and either center, or cause wheel to move one way or the other. so if I read this correctly, simply I need to loosen the valve body bolts, minimally shift it until the wheel doesn't move then tighten down, right?

Pretty much

Rich G.

And never stick your hand through the steering wheel and start the car after you've replaced or worked on the box. I found that out the hard way!

71-440

Quote from: Rich G. on September 18, 2018, 06:24:29 PM
And never stick your hand through the steering wheel and start the car after you've replaced or worked on the box. I found that out the hard way!

Wow! Never knew that. I love this site.... :banana:
Joe