Main Menu

Are organic brake pads available?

Started by xx88man, September 28, 2019, 09:39:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

I am looking for organic brake pads. All I can find seems to be metallic or semi-metallic. I read somewhere that original rotors are not designed for them. Since I will be using my original rotors I am looking for organic brake pads. Does anyone sell them?
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

Did you try the economy section on Rock auto ?

xx88man

Yes the only pads they show are metallic or semi-metallic
Keep yer foot in it

Chryco Psycho

then I would use a ceramic such as Powerstop

dodj

You have the original rotors? Wow. Must be a really low mileage car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

xx88man

Quote from: dodj on September 28, 2019, 12:10:21 PM
You have the original rotors? Wow. Must be a really low mileage car.

Still under 44000 original miles
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 28, 2019, 10:38:01 AM
than I would use a ceramic such as Powerstop

Any idea who sells these?
Does anyone else have a car with original rotors and what are you using for brake pads?
Keep yer foot in it

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

1 Wild R/T

I'd rather have a car that stops well and accept that the rotors will eventually need to be replaced...
Yes metallic pads are hard on rotors, you'll probably only get 60k miles out of a set of rotors... It's not like they will be destroyed in 5k miles... 

So considering you have 44k on the rotors already with organic pads you'll probably see over 75k before the rotors need to be replaced.. How long for you to put 30k miles on the car?

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

bc3j

I used the info I found in Tom Condran's "Mopar Performance" upgrade book. I have organic pads that were ordered in from Autozone. I have '78 Córdoba rotors with Diplomat calipers. At least for me anyway, I couldn't get enough heat in the rotors during routine driving for the semi metallics to work well. Went to organic pads and they work much better. I don't tend to drive the car regularly with enthusiasm, but when I do it stops great. My daily drivers are a Honda and Acura with ceramic pads, but much thinner rotor thickness. They get hotter quicker and stop good. This is just what works for me.