Main Menu

Best aftermarket K-frame?

Started by torredcuda, October 08, 2019, 05:43:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

torredcuda

Quote from: dodj on October 08, 2019, 01:22:53 PM
Quote from: torredcuda on October 08, 2019, 10:34:40 AM
Quote from: Cuda70-74 on October 08, 2019, 09:33:17 AM
I got the QA1 on my cuda. I sold my K-member and used the money towards the QA1.

Even selling my old one it would still cost me $650-700 for just the K-frame. Looking at it in the car there is not much triangulation, wonder how much it actually reduces flex?
They cost $619 bucks (recent price increase) . How is selling your old one then buying the new QA1 gonna cost you $650 to $700?

$619 plus shipping which I bet isn`t cheap, old used ones go for what$100-150 ?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

torredcuda

Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Shane Kelley

Quote from: torredcuda on October 09, 2019, 05:37:00 AM
Where did you find that price?

https://www.qa1.net/checkout/cart/

Summit Racing has them for that price plus you get another $50 off and free shipping.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Brads70 on October 08, 2019, 03:22:23 PM
I'm still not sold on it being "better" than the stock k-frame. Although I haven't heard on any failures with the QA1 set up ( magnum force one, yes) ,I'm still concerned with weld failures etc over time.... stock is worry free and proven/sure thing in that regard.

You are correct that the factory K frame is a proven warrior. But this QA1 is built very well and it's really bitchen looking. It's the room it frees up that I like the most. You can drop a oil pan straight down out of the car by only removing the drag link. Access to starter and other components are excellent. Did I mention it looks bitchen?   :D

HP2

If I recall, QA1 actually did a fair amount of research into making their piece more rigid than stock. However. once they put enough pieces in it to restore and improve upon the original rigidity, it ended up weighing as much as stock. So the benefit of using  it is more structural integrity with improved access and the ability to retain the stock t-bar layout. Is that worth the price of admission, for some yes, for others, no.

dodj

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 09, 2019, 05:52:38 AM
Quote from: torredcuda on October 09, 2019, 05:37:00 AM
Where did you find that price?

https://www.qa1.net/checkout/cart/

Summit Racing has them for that price plus you get another $50 off and free shipping.
Ya, Summit. If you compare the QA1 site prices with Summit, Summit is significantly cheaper on all their parts. UCA's, LCA's, strut rods

I stopped in and visited the QA1 facility in Lakeville two years ago. Picked up four of their adjustable shocks. Their stuff seems pretty nice.

Damien is always at Mopars in the Park show flogging their wares.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FSHTAIL

My friend James put the qa1 set up under his 74 Challenger, and at about 60 plus miles per hour his car used to get a whistle, ever since he replaced the crossmember with just the qa1 being the only difference, that whistle is gone...

When we would hit bumps in the car, you can see the front clip wiggle around a little bit, it's virtually gone now.. 

I'd say it's doing something positive up front.   
It feels a little more stuck in the corners too. 
It's basically at the point I'll be buying one for my car. 

So much more room for activities. 😁
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

dodj

@Chris Pauluk , my wife and I are always down at the Mopars in the Park show. Surprised I haven't run across you with your car yet. We usually stay in Apple Valley just south of Eagan.
Quote from: Chris Pauluk on October 23, 2019, 02:29:36 AM
I'd say it's doing something positive up front.   
It feels a little more stuck in the corners too. 
It's basically at the point I'll be buying one for my car. 

So much more room for activities. 😁
I'm gonna do it because I hear it looks bitchen'.  8)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on October 08, 2019, 11:53:27 AM
I got the QA1 on my cuda. I sold my K-member and used the money towards the QA1.

Even selling my old one it would still cost me $650-700 for just the K-frame. Looking at it in the car there is not much triangulation, wonder how much it actually reduces flex?
wow the prices have gone up on it. 570 is the cheapest I've seen with the 50 bucks offs.

Where did you see that deal?

dodj

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on December 24, 2019, 01:13:52 AM
Quote from: Cuda70-74 on October 08, 2019, 11:53:27 AM

wow the prices have gone up on it. 570 is the cheapest I've seen with the 50 bucks offs.

Where did you see that deal?
Summit.
Their regular price is 619. They are offering $40 dollars off at the moment with free shipping.

FSHTAIL

looks killer... 

Did you powdercoat your QA1 crossmember or repaint it?? 

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 08, 2019, 01:45:19 PM
I love how it looks and all the room it opens up. Very well built piece!

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on December 31, 2019, 06:51:15 PM
looks killer... 

Did you powdercoat your QA1 crossmember or repaint it?? 

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 08, 2019, 01:45:19 PM
I love how it looks and all the room it opens up. Very well built piece!

I mixed up some paint to match the Hotchkis suspension parts and painted my K member, LCA's and frame connectors. Sprayed a matt clear over it to match the finish as well. I think the color ended up being a late model GM SUV beige metallic.

dodj

Anybody know what a factory ebody k-member weighs? Never had one in my hands before and want to know how much weight to be prepared for when the last bolt comes out.  :dunno:

Rich G.

Mine is out and I just weighed it. It's 45lbs.

JS29

@dodj   I would have a floor jack with a block of wood in-between, just touching it. they are heavy!