Main Menu

Blasting your K Member

Started by 340Challman, December 20, 2021, 04:17:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

340Challman

I'm needing to get my K member blasted and powder coated. My question is about where the lower control arm shaft passes through the K member. That sleeve does not look replaceable, but wanted to ask. If it is not replaceable, should I protect it from the blasting and powder coating process? What have you guys done? I tried to do a search, but we can't search single letters. Don't know how else you would search "K member"  :thinking:  :haha:
Kevin

R/T's 4 R/P

Yes, you should protect it from blasting and you don't want paint on that surface.
I have also put bolts in the spots where the steering box attaches so that isn't gummed up with powder coat.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

RUNCHARGER

First of all thanks for bringing this up because I think this is a critical area to inspect that a lot of people do not realize. It's a good idea to really eyeball the tube and welds after blasting to make sure there are no cracks or tears.
Other than that, to your original question, just clean the powdercoating from the inside very well after powdercoating. Carefully use a round file or engine galley brushes in a drill to remove the powdercoating.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Great time to have all the welds inspected and now is the time to reinforce the weak areas on your K-member.
The motor mounts and steering box mounting areas should be welded up and even gussetted if you can.
The holes for the strut rods have a tendency to crack around the perimeter and sometimes a good thick washer can be welded there to beef it up.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: MoparLeo on December 20, 2021, 04:57:04 PM
Great time to have all the welds inspected and now is the time to reinforce the weak areas on your K-member.
The motor mounts and steering box mounting areas should be welded up and even gussetted if you can.
The holes for the strut rods have a tendency to crack around the perimeter and sometimes a good thick washer can be welded there to beef it up.

If anyone has pics of what/how/wheee to gusset the mounts it would be nice.    I'm sure I could figure it out once I get mine out, torn down, and cleaned up.  But pics are always helpful.

340Challman

Excellent. Great info MoparLeo. Thanks guys. I'll make sure I protect those sleeves.  :cheers:
Kevin