Main Menu

Brake booster and master cylinder rebuild company?

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 26, 2019, 05:10:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Brake and Equipment Warehouse did my master cylinder, Proportioning valve and calipers. Brad was great to work with, communicated well and completed everything ontime and on budget.  I was very specific since all my parts were date coded including the original front calipers from Kelsy hayes. Brad kept track of everything and he had all the hard to find component parts and pistons. They packed everything extremely well and I got all parts back. Very pleased with there work and consideration.  I took my brake booster to Karps in California. Its date coded as well and I wasn't connecting very well with booster dewey - nothing negative I just kept getting voice mail. Brake and Equipment has there own third party but they have to ship to Ohio to do the booster. Jury is out on Karp's but he had the hard to find 70 Diaphragm for the bendix and he was local.

Mrbill426

Booster "Exchange"... they have boosters ready to go in exchange for yours (common ones anyway) or they R&R?

Quote from: Burdar on October 09, 2019, 10:57:38 AM
Just Google "Booster Dewey Exchange".

Burdar

They will rebuild your original one and send it back. 

Mrbill426

Looks good  :bigthumb: .  They replace the valve as part of the job?   What is the smaller vacuum port on the valve for?  What about the plastic collar and seal that is on the firewall side?  I assume they do install a new rubber boot on the firewall side.  Here is mine; I could not find any identifying numbers on it anywhere and maybe there are not supposed to be any  :notsure:
I know... twenty questions  :haha:

Quote from: Burdar on May 22, 2020, 11:35:53 AM
They will rebuild your original one and send it back. 

Burdar

All seals will be replaced.  Some internal parts are reused if they are in good shape.  Mine had a broken part internally and it was replaced with a used part.  Mine came with a new rubber boot on the back side.  The extra vacuum port might be for A/C cars...not sure.  It might not have ever been used.  It might have been the cheapest part Chrysler could buy at the time.

Please soak your wiring bracket in EvapoRust.  See if there is any trace of black paint when it comes out.  Mine was rusted to nothing and I had to buy a reproduction.  I painted mine black but I wonder if it's supposed to be bare metal on a plated booster.  If it was painted, you'll see black paint on it after it's dipped in EvapoRust.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on May 23, 2020, 05:44:36 AM

Please soak your wiring bracket in EvapoRust.  See if there is any trace of black paint when it comes out.  Mine was rusted to nothing and I had to buy a reproduction.  I painted mine black but I wonder if it's supposed to be bare metal on a plated booster.  If it was painted, you'll see black paint on it after it's dipped in EvapoRust.

That's a great question Darren, I've always wondered that too... :thinking:

What do they do if your booster is heavily pitted ?  Years ago I had a plating company just sand blast it and re-plate it and it looked terrible.  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

They don't do anything about the pitting.  Either find a nicer front half to send or you could try sanding out some of the lighter ones yourself.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on May 23, 2020, 05:52:48 AM
They don't do anything about the pitting.  Either find a nicer front half to send or you could try sanding out some of the lighter ones yourself.

Yea, that's pretty much the norm I guess...the guy that did the last one for me, charged me extra to sand and actually polish out the pits before plating it...it turned out real nice.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Mrbill426

@Burdar  I took the brace off and although mine is in pretty bad shape I see black paint at least on the back side of it.  I bought a replacement but is came bare metal except for the tabs that are rubber (platsi-dip?) coated.

7E-Bodies

This is the one from my 70 RT. Every reason to believe it's the original, but may have been resprayed. I briefly hit the front of it with the wire wheel to see if color was under it and it appears not. Also the upper back appears to be factory finish.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Mrbill426

Been trying to contact the Booster Exchange by phone but get answering machine that says they are open but no leave message for call-back option.  :huh:  They have a FB page with messaging but no reply even though message appears to be "seen".  Anyone deal with them over the phone lately??

:wrenching:

7E-Bodies

They're currently working on a booster for my 70. They just left me  a message saying they had it and the process was beginning.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Kowal

I have used the Ram Man Inc for years with good success.

Just had two MC/Booster combos rebuilt in the last six months.    Kate runs the office and provides timely feedback.    They will also help you if you want to make your set up factory exact, by getting you the right pieces.   

Turn around time was about a month each.   You do get your pieces back, not substituted ...unless you wanted to buy one of their units to be factory correct.
69 Hemi Charger 500, 70 U-code Challenger R/T
(Had but now gone...2 A12's, 1 Hemi B-body, 3 other B-bodies, 2 other E-bodies and an A-body...a good run!).  See www.DKowal426.com

P.J. O'Rouke:  "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 23, 2020, 03:59:42 PM
@Burdar  I took the brace off and although mine is in pretty bad shape I see black paint at least on the back side of it.  I bought a replacement but is came bare metal except for the tabs that are rubber (platsi-dip?) coated.

I'm fairly confident I was the first person to remove this bracket from my car 20+ years ago.  I see the remains of black paint on both the front and rear of the piece.  :rubeyes: