Main Menu

Brake Booster

Started by Claudia, November 14, 2017, 05:59:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Claudia

Anybody else have a problem with their brake booster housing starting to rust after installation?  Obviously looking back, I should have clear coated it or something before I installed it but what can be done after it has been installed?

Cuda Cody

I've not had any issue.  What did you paint it with and did you prime it?

Claudia

Quote from: Cuda Cody on November 14, 2017, 06:30:07 AM
I've not had any issue.  What did you paint it with and did you prime it?

I did not paint it.  I left it as it was purchased.  I did not prime it either.

1 Wild R/T

I'm guessing since you have a 71 it's a Midland Ross with the gold zinc? Or is it one of the Chinese aftermarket units which are also gold zinc...

Claudia

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 14, 2017, 07:14:58 AM
I'm guessing since you have a 71 it's a Midland Ross with the gold zinc? Or is it one of the Chinese aftermarket units which are also gold zinc...

I'm trying to remember where I bought it from . . .  :thinking:

Here is the only picture that I have of it right now.

Claudia

I also don't recall any type of coating on it . . .  :thinking:

1 Wild R/T

It's a Midland Ross unit, it should be plated & if it were it wouldn't have rusted......  The booster I attached is also a Midland ross but it's a B body drum brake booster but has the correct plating...

Claudia

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 14, 2017, 07:52:58 AM
It's a Midland Ross unit, it should be plated & if it were it wouldn't have rusted......  The booster I attached is also a Midland ross but it's a B body drum brake booster but has the correct plating...

Yeah, mine definitely did not hate that type of plating on it.

Any options now without removing it?

1 Wild R/T

Lots of masking paper, little sanding & spray paint.....

If you want fake plating  eastwood offers this....  http://search.eastwood.com/search?w=gold%20cadmium%20paint

Personally there's zero chance I would use fake plating look so at this point it would be black like 70 & 72-74 E bodies have....   71 is the only year with a Midland Ross booster so the only year it was plated.....

Claudia

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 14, 2017, 08:13:46 AM
Lots of masking paper, little sanding & spray paint.....

Yeah, I was afraid of that . . .  :crying: