Main Menu

Brake pedal to brake booster connection- is this right?

Started by Dakota, September 20, 2019, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

Supposedly all this stuff fit together at one time but at the moment I'm not so sure. 

I have a 70 Challenger with a Bendix power brake booster.

The brake pedal pivot where I believe it connects the pushrod to the back of the booster has a gap of 0.43 inches.  The width of the pushrod "eye" is 0.57 inches.  I'm sure I can bend the pivot to fit, but wanted to verify this was correct before doing it. 

Also, the pin through the pivot has a diameter of 0.36 inches.  The hole through the eye has a diameter of 0.55 inches.  I would've thought there would be tighter clearances here.   

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm missing a piece here somewhere.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

This is what I have, not sure what its from or what year. Mine has a shoulder bolt that measures .568" or so at the big end.

Brads70

Anyone know what this is for?

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on September 20, 2019, 01:25:50 PM
Missing bushing and wrong pivot  :alan2cents:

I was definitely missing a bushing.  I sent a note to Jon at Roseville to see if he could take some measurements from a new pivot.   There wasn't one available, but he cut off the end of the pushrod from a used booster they had on hand and sent it to me.   The bushing pressed out pretty easily with the sockets shown as it was only held in place by a combination of rust and an o-ring.

I still have to see if I can get the pivot to fit around the pushrod but regardless I was going to need the bushing for the booster pushrod. This is just another example of why the folks at Roseville are a great vendor for us (thanks @MoparDave).

anlauto

You can grind the edges of the push rod and bushing to allow your linkage to fit over. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration