Main Menu

Brake cables help

Started by drew43a, March 24, 2021, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

drew43a

My two park brake cables on the rear are not even or same length when they get to the bracket where the single park brake cable hooks.  any ideas why that is?

Dakota

Can you describe what you're seeing a little more, or maybe post a picture?   Is it the cable itself that is too long on one side, or the cable and the cable cover both too long on one side?

I'm not sure which year or type of E-body you have.  On my 70 Challenger, the cable from the passenger side rear wheel gets bolted to the underside of the car (on what is basically the backside of the rear seat) above the differential.    This portion of the cable was flopping around a lot until I realized I didn't have it secured properly.

Hopefully the additional details will help prompt some other help if what I described doesn't fix your situation.

drew43a

it is a 70 Cuda.  the ebrake cables come up and the outer cable mounts to a plate above the real  axal on the drivers side. Each cable coming out of the outer shielded part has a ball on the end  one is a little bigger then the other. and they hook on to a  bracket  where the single cable that goes all the way to the fire wall and in to the E brake pedal assembly.  so the left and right e brake cables comming out of there shields or outer housing are not the same length. and when the ball ends are hooked on to the bracket the bracket is at an angle and not vertical.

Rich G.

Mine is the same way. My guess is the repo cables might be a little bit off.

anlauto

Yea, very common with new cables, I don't really think it has much affect on the ability to lock the rear brakes :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

drew43a

B5fourspeed

When you tighten the parking brake it will even out alittle.

drew43a

is this used on my car somewhere? can't seem to find a photo of where.

moparroy

That hook supports the center brake cable at the transmission cross member - hooks into the bottom of the cross member and pulls the cable to help support it and tension it.

JonH

Quote from: drew43a on March 29, 2021, 02:29:26 PM

NO...not on a 70 with the cables on the same side

anlauto

Quote from: drew43a on March 29, 2021, 02:29:26 PM

That's NOT used on a 70 set-up, only a 71-74 with an intermediate cable
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration