Main Menu

E Brake Cables and Frame Connectors-RESULT

Started by anlauto, October 20, 2017, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

In the Classic Industries catalog, it says the Engineers recommended sub frame connectors but the bean counters shot the idea down.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 23, 2017, 11:10:25 PM
the holes thru the tube doesn't significantly reduce its strength

how many holes are in stock frame rails? RH rear N95 car? ever seen a frame rail fold up due to normal abuse?

where is wiring put in stick home construction, that's right, straight thru the middle of the lumber

I'm not following you Dan, and maybe its because I'm not an engineer or I'm not that bright.  Please explain how a steel connector with a large hole cut through both sides is not weaker than a solid steel tube?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 24, 2017, 06:50:48 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on October 23, 2017, 11:10:25 PM
the holes thru the tube doesn't significantly reduce its strength

how many holes are in stock frame rails? RH rear N95 car? ever seen a frame rail fold up due to normal abuse?

where is wiring put in stick home construction, that's right, straight thru the middle of the lumber

I'm not following you Dan, and maybe its because I'm not an engineer or I'm not that bright.  Please explain how a steel connector with a large hole cut through both sides is not weaker than a solid steel tube?

It depends on the cross section of the part. Most of the load is translated around the edges of the part when it torsion, if we are talking a simple square tube. The stiffness between a solid rod and a hollow tube is surprisingly similar, the geometry of the part is what yields most of its strength. Putting a hole in the side of a square is nothing like putting a cut in the cross-section.

If it's a shallow, C, like a laser cut subframe, it's not as rigid to begin with and can be easily weakened by removing material in the thinnest areas.

Like any good engineer, "it depends" is the blanket answer. However, factory holes in the frame are not going to affect the rigidity of the chassis in any measurable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs