Main Menu

Brake caliper location

Started by redgum78, November 07, 2019, 12:18:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

E body brake caliper mounting location. Pretty sure I have seen them mounted on the front side and on the rear side of the rotor. What is the difference? Were there different brands that required different mounting locations?

Thanks

Dan

anlauto

They should all hang off the front. If you've seen off the rear, it's either an aftermarket set-up of installed incorrectly.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

redgum78

Quote from: anlauto on November 07, 2019, 12:20:39 PM
They should all hang off the front. If you've seen off the rear, it's either an aftermarket set-up of installed incorrectly.

So all E bodies hung from the front, thanks for clarifying anlauto.
I might be getting mixed up with my 73 Charger, pretty sure it is rear hung.

Chryco Psycho

Yes on the front , the brake hose threads straight into the caliper if you are using the correct ones & angles toward the brake line bracket on the frame
On B body up to 70 it will interfere with the sway bar in front but they used different parts up to 72 they are front mounted , I forget what changed with the isolated K frame in 73-74
If the calipers have the banjo fitting they were typically used for rear mounting .

redgum78

anlauto

Sorry, I should have clarified ... all E Bodies hang off the front. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration