Main Menu

Brake Drum recommendation needed

Started by manycj, June 21, 2017, 05:11:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

manycj

Looks like I need to replace all 4 of the brake drums on my 70 Challenger project. It has 10" drums all around and I am looking for a recommendation for quality replacements and perhaps a source.  I would prefer an OE look and would pay a reasonable price for NOS, but I don't see many options except Raybestos.

Chris
<I>If I can't fix it, I'll fix it so no onw can!"</I>

Cuda Cody

Not many options out there.  And finding good NOS is super hard.  Raybestos have a good name and might be worth it.

Cudakiller70

I have no info on good or NOS brake drums, but just a suggestion rockauto seems to have a good selection  :notsure: A tip I have learned, the pictures and descriptions are not always accurate so take the part # and go to the manufacturers site and pull up the part you are looking at to verify.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1970,challenger,5.6l+340cid+v8,1078433,brake+&+wheel+hub,drum,1744

70/6chall

Manycj, Codys right hard to land good NOS drums. I kinda lean toward Raybestos or Wagner. Since I have drums all around like you do on  my SL6 '70 Challenger. I've always used those two brands for thier wheel cylinders and brake rebuild kits. They've never let me down with quality, God knows I enjoy stopping the car when needed. I run 10x3's in front and 11x2-1/2 in back.   Thanks,   Al

manycj

Thanks, looks like I will go with the Raybestos. Next challenge - I have to drill out the swages around the studs to pull the hubs off on the front ones. Best trick I found was to take a 5/8 metal hole saw and drill them out. Should be fun  :looney:
thanks
Chris

Chryco Psycho

I would seriously consider doing a front disc upgrade , 10 " front drums are not good , grab some spindles from a FMJ series Mopar , Vloare ,5 th ave , cordoba 80 or newer , diplomat etc

manycj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 22, 2017, 08:48:08 AM
I would seriously consider doing a front disc upgrade , 10 " front drums are not good , grab some spindles from a FMJ series Mopar , Vloare ,5 th ave , cordoba 80 or newer , diplomat etc

trying to go with 100% original factory configuration on this. Normally a disc brake upgrade would be my preferred option.