Main Menu

Rear drum brake

Started by BAM, October 05, 2021, 02:04:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

Hey guys, will those drums fit my standard back end? Do I need 10 or 11 Inch? While there, do you suggest ordering anything else, except the whole under the drum stuff?

I'm not a mechanic but planning to assemble this myself. Because I need to order absolutely everything on this car, while I'm with the rear drums, does anyone have a list of parts that go under the drum? Also, do you recommend changing axles and/or anything else in there?

anlauto

There's two wheel cylinders, left and right adjuster kits, spring hold down kit and shoes. You have to determine the size first...and there's original parts you have to reuse
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Floyd

Bullitt-

Ideal time to service the axle bearings ... You don't necessarily have to replace the bearings but they probably could use new grease
Great write up here  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35471.0
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

7E-Bodies

Here's the direction I plan to go soon. My 70 RT came with 11" rear drum. I figure for the time I spend gathering parts, cussing, stretching springs, getting it wrong, doing it all over, I can hit up Cas at Dr. Diff and have it all ready to go.

https://www.doctordiff.com/mopar-drum-brake-assembly.html
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

MoparLeo

What are you working with ? What size backing plates do you have ? 10" were used with disc brake fronts. 11" were for HD 4 wheel drum applications.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

JS29

AAR & T/A cars had front disk breaks and 11" drum's in the rear as well.  He is working on a U-code  :alan2cents:

blown motor

I have fully assembled 11" drum brake assemblies in mint condition with new components but the shipping is likely a killer.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

BAM

The car had factory drums front/back as it's just a 318 auto. Now is at the paint shop so I won't have time to go there any time soon to measure.

I ordered a complete front disc brake setup to go along with the complete qa1 front end that i just received from summit.

I'm guessing is gonna be a standard 10" drum brake at the back and go ahead and order. Because I'm ordering absolutely everything for the back side, i was thinking to go with 11" drums. It's only a matter of being able to fit it to the existing axle.

anlauto

If it had front drums, it should have 11" rear drums...but a lot can happen if 50 years :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

Brake packages don't come with the backing plates. That is the key part you build out from. Need to know the size and that they are in good condition.
Axles will need to be removed to change them. Good time to replace the axle housing seals and repack the tapered bearings.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...