Main Menu

Brake proportioning valve blues

Started by Mr Lee, July 01, 2020, 08:09:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Lee

So, I took apart both proportioning valves.  One of them had a crooked o-ring located above the brake switch and also a bent cup / seal / grommet that goes in the bottom end of the valve.  But on the other one, everything looked fine, and they both leaked. So figure that one out. 

Anyway, to recap, mine was leaking at the bottom bolt which is just a cap basically, and also at the brake switch.  I put it back together with some thread sealant on the threads and the leaks SEEM to have gone away, but I am keeping my eye on it.  Time will be the true test.  Not ready to count my chickens just yet

So those leaks went away but then I had new leaks at some of the line connections... but I tightened them up some more and they also seem to have gone away.  My test drives are only a 2 mile loop around my house.  taking it easy.   My lines are stainless and they are difficult to seat. I think it's the older stuff (very hard) and they now use a softer stainless.  Running DOT 5 fluid.  Hoping I don't have to switch back to DOT 3.  Not sure what to believe out there.   

BTW Fine Lines has been very good about helping me so I just want to give them credit for that.  I don't have any bad feelings towards them.  They are still sending me a new valve at no charge. 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Mrbill426

Glad to hear Fine lines is helping.

Quote from: Mr Lee on July 07, 2020, 10:13:27 AM
So, I took apart both proportioning valves.  One of them had a crooked o-ring located above the brake switch and also a bent cup / seal / grommet that goes in the bottom end of the valve.  But on the other one, everything looked fine, and they both leaked. So figure that one out. 

Anyway, to recap, mine was leaking at the bottom bolt which is just a cap basically, and also at the brake switch.  I put it back together with some thread sealant on the threads and the leaks SEEM to have gone away, but I am keeping my eye on it.  Time will be the true test.  Not ready to count my chickens just yet

So those leaks went away but then I had new leaks at some of the line connections... but I tightened them up some more and they also seem to have gone away.  My test drives are only a 2 mile loop around my house.  taking it easy.   My lines are stainless and they are difficult to seat. I think it's the older stuff (very hard) and they now use a softer stainless.  Running DOT 5 fluid.  Hoping I don't have to switch back to DOT 3.  Not sure what to believe out there.   

BTW Fine Lines has been very good about helping me so I just want to give them credit for that.  I don't have any bad feelings towards them.  They are still sending me a new valve at no charge.

Mrbill426

I want to user their kits to repair mine but they don't respond to (their recommended) mode of online inquiries about their parts.  Maybe they are out of business?  :dunno:

Quote from: mopar jack on July 02, 2020, 07:55:06 AM
you can get rebuild parts from musclecarresearch. https://www.musclecarresearch.com/mopar-parts. I have had a couple of leaks and their parts helped but the leaks are coming back just not as bad. I use dot 5 and though I like the benefits of not harming the paint I think it doesn't keep the seals conditioned properly.

Mr Lee

Bringing back this thread to inquire if anyone else is still having problems with leaky proportioning valves?  I'm on my 3rd one from Fine Lines and my second set of brake lines and still having leaks. 
Leaking out of the brake switch and out of the bottom of the metering valve where that pin is.  I actually have a puddle on my floor its gotten so bad.   

Fed up. 

They didn't answer my last email. 

Anyone have an original they'd like to sell me to rebuild?
70 Challenger - power front discs

Mr Lee

I just ordered the rebuild kit from Muscle Car Research for my Fine Lines proportioning valve...  just to see if their seals might work / are better etc.   I'm desperate.   

I was trying to keep my car looking original, but at this point... I'm on my 3rd crappy brake valve and 2nd set of lines.  I've bled my brakes so many times....   (I digress)

so....  how bout this.... (because I think it's time for a plan B) ...  has anyone installed another type of aftermarket proportioning valve that maybe wasn't designed for an E body that they could point me in the direction of?  I'm not opposed to bending up some lines / making a bracket.  I just need my brakes to stop leaking.  (the brakes themselves work great)  I just can't keep replacing brake valves for the rest of my life.   (Note - definition of insanity  - doing the same thing, expecting different results)  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: 

Mr Lee

:thinking:
Wondering if something like this work

Two inlets, 3 outlets.  Adjustable.  (Not too concerned about losing the dummy light on the dash)

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/63025/10002/-1