Main Menu

Brake Tee / Brake hose, possible issue?

Started by mtull, August 26, 2024, 03:49:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

I'm working on the rear brakes of my 1970 Challenger project.  I bought the car in non-running condition. The hose fitting I found on the car is dated 1971 but I could not find a date on the brass distribution block thus, I don't know if the distribution block is original.  I bought a new rear brake hose but it doesn't bottom out against the distribution block when I tighten it.  I checked my pics before disassembly and it appears the older hose didn't bottom out against the distribution block either.  I have no idea if the rear brakes ever worked with the parts I found installed. 

Do I not have the correct distribution block or is the hose fitting not supposed to fit tight against the block? Any knowledge/advice appreciated.

Thank you
M.

Brads70

If I understand you correctly. The part that seals is at the bottom of the bore. On the flair.

nonfish

Hear is the 1972 and later improved one piece updated design.  Works great if you do not care about being looking correct for a 1970.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=965317&cc=1078680&pt=1792&jsn=1207

mtull

Quote from: nonfish on August 27, 2024, 06:44:23 AMWorks great if you do not care about being looking correct for a 1970

Thank you @nonfish.  Despite my best efforts, I always find a way to forget to mention important points.  This time I forgot to mention I prefer an OEM look or at least as close as possible.  I think/hope @Brads70 is correct.  Worse case I buy the one piece for now and kick the proverbial can down the road. 

Thank you 

Bullitt-

Here is a photo from DR diff of a replacement tee & hose,
Appears the fitting stops short of the tee.
https://www.doctordiff.com/stainless-steel-rear-brake-hose-w-tee.html

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

mtull

Quote from: Bullitt- on August 27, 2024, 07:41:44 AMAppears the fitting stops short of the tee

Perfect.  Thank you.  I think that answers my question.  I'll find out for sure once I get everything installed.