Main Menu

cant find rear shocks for my 70 RT

Started by 70RTSE383, May 21, 2021, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I need to get rear shocks on my 70 rt se. I quered another group and it was suggested bilstein. When ordering them I ran into a "not currently available" response. I went to Summit and ordered Koni. They came but the sleeve in the lower mount is 5/8" as advertised but the stud on my lower shock brackets is just a little big so it won't fit. Called Summit back but its unclear if other brands are any different. What specific shock do you use and is your lower mount a little larger than 5//8". I don't have a more precise way to measure as I don't have a caliper.
What the heck is the problem. It is a stock 8,75" and the car came with a 383.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Chryco Psycho

I would fix the situation by pushing out the bushings  will the rubber slide over now ?

anlauto

I use RockAuto for shocks, they sell a few different brands. :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Top Banana

Does anyone make reproduction shocks? I will need shocks for a 70 TA.

anlauto

I think Gabriel Classics look the closest to originals, I don't think anybody is making an accurate reproduction shock.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1972V21Cuda

Years ago, YO used to sell a decent shock that was similar to the originals and painted black.

I'm not sure how close to original they are. I bought mine around 20 years ago: https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/ng2073#prettyPhoto

rftroy

I had the same problem when I bought my Konis.  I'm pretty sure the factory stud is 11/16" diameter, and I believe this is the bushing I used:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-25927-31010.aspx

I can't confirm the diameters now as my house and garage is tented for asbestos abatement and I am locked out.  Long story.
But it should be easy to take your own measurements to confirm.
You can get these at most auto parts stores.

I know it's a pain, but once you press the old bushings out and get these in, it works really well.  It's a good fit.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: rftroy on May 21, 2021, 09:15:21 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my Konis. I'm pretty sure the factory stud is 11/32" diameter, and I believe this is the bushing I used:
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-25927-31010.aspx

I know it's a pain, but once you press the old bushings out and get these in, it works really well.  It's a good fit.

Robert

I think you meant 11/16".....  11/32 is slightly smaller than 3/8".....

rftroy

Yes.  11/16".
Already corrected.
Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

MoparLeo

There shouldn't be a sleeve on the lower shock mount. just a rubber bushing that slides over the mount stud. The bushing tightens up when you tighten the nut/washer. If it has a sleeve, remove it somehow. The shock is obviously a generic fit for length only. If you check the FSM for the 1970 Dodge Challenger, the installation info and picture of the shock is on page 566.  No sleeve.
I use the KYB also. KG 4510 front KG 5512 rear
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Floyd

I bought and installed these without issue on my T/A.  Scuffed and painted black.  I might even drive on them some day (if I ever finish my Resto).
:haha:

KYB KG5512 Gas-a-Just Gas Shock

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C40T82/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chryco Psycho

I only use KYB if I want a ride similar to a hardtail harley

Montclaire

I didn't like KYBs.  Just ordered a set of Gabriels through Rock Auto.