Main Menu

Installing rear coil-over shocks (help please)

Started by Mrbill426, April 21, 2021, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am trying to install rear coil-over shocks and although I have them loosely mounted up top I can't for the life of me compress them enough to swing over and onto the lower mounting studs :headbang:  I don't have a lift so I am on my back with car on dolly's.  Is there some slick trick to compressing these buggers?? :huh:

Thanks!

JonH

Are they true coil overs that will eliminate your leaf springs, or are they shocks with helper springs? You will not compress true coil overs that are designed to hold your car up. Also if they are true coil overs and you eliminated your leaf springs, did you reinforce the upper shock mount or replace it completely? The stock mount is not substantial enough to handle the weight of the car....

Mrbill426

Shocks with coil springs over them.  Monroe Load Adjusters they are called.

Quote from: JonH on April 21, 2021, 07:16:52 PM
Are they true coil overs that will eliminate your leaf springs, or are they shocks with helper springs? You will not compress true coil overs that are designed to hold your car up. Also if they are true coil overs and you eliminated your leaf springs, did you reinforce the upper shock mount or replace it completely? The stock mount is not substantial enough to handle the weight of the car....

JonH

If the rear end will not drop far enough to install them you may need to take the rear shackles loose so you can drop the rear some more. As I said before I would not use those...the upper crossmember was not made to take the stress that those will put on it...

jordan

I suggest that you use a ratchet strap tie down around the top and bottom eyelet and crank it down to the length you need.  Once bolted in place, release the strap and you are done. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Mrbill426

Off of the car and pushing them down by hand they seem to have the same pressure as the other gas shocks I have as an alternative.  I was under the impression that the coils just added stabilization.  When I bought them they cataloged for a towing upgrade for a B-body but they have the same mounts and basically the same travel dimensions.  I do not profess to be a suspension system guru by any means though  :dunno:  It dawned on me now that I could try lifting the body away rather than trying to lift the axle to the shocks.
BUT... I don't want to damage the upper shock mounts; maybe B-bodies are stronger up there.

Thanks

Quote from: JonH on April 21, 2021, 07:46:36 PM
If the rear end will not drop far enough to install them you may need to take the rear shackles loose so you can drop the rear some more. As I said before I would not use those...the upper crossmember was not made to take the stress that those will put on it...

Mrbill426

Thanks for that; I believe I have a pair of those little ones.

Quote from: jordan on April 21, 2021, 08:20:08 PM
I suggest that you use a ratchet strap tie down around the top and bottom eyelet and crank it down to the length you need.  Once bolted in place, release the strap and you are done.