Main Menu

choices of upper control arms?

Started by torredcuda, August 05, 2018, 04:50:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

RockAuto turned the parts around quickly, they came today.  There were two K7103 boxes inside and each box has two sets of bushings, so we are good to go.  In the future, I will be checking everything I get from RA as soon as it comes in.  To their credit, they made it right.  Carry on..

dodj

Quote from: gzig5 on August 10, 2018, 02:00:32 PM
I just opened the boxes to press the offset bushings into my  UCA.  Moog K7103 from RockAuto.  There is only one bushing in each Box/kit?  WTH??  The pictures on all the sites show two.  I ordered two kits thinking that would do both sides.  Am I wrong or did RA mess up?
That happened to me from RA as well. But a few years ago. Weird. They send me what I needed at no extra cost though.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

OK, the fun continues.  Finally ready to put the new offset bushings into the upper arms.  Each bushing has a top hat shaped washer that needs to go in the steel sleeve on each end.  The hole in the sleeve is .370"-ish and the part of the washers that should go in is at .385"-ish.  No way they are pressing in with .015" interference.  Or will they??  Anyone else seen this?  I can turn the washers down on the lathe but that is a pita I shouldn't have to go through.   

dodj

I didn't measure at the time (a few years ago) but I remember it was tight and pressing it all together with a vise. How much interference there was, I don't remember.  :huh:

And remember, don't orient them in the uca like the instructions say. Install them in the way that effectively moves the ball joint towards the rear of the car.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

303 Mopar

Quote from: gzig5 on September 06, 2018, 05:11:29 PM
OK, the fun continues.  Finally ready to put the new offset bushings into the upper arms.  Each bushing has a top hat shaped washer that needs to go in the steel sleeve on each end.  The hole in the sleeve is .370"-ish and the part of the washers that should go in is at .385"-ish.  No way they are pressing in with .015" interference.  Or will they??  Anyone else seen this?  I can turn the washers down on the lathe but that is a pita I shouldn't have to go through.

Here is how to install them, and yes it is a tight fit so use a BFH!  :deadhorse:

gzig5

The washers went on OK by filing a bit of a chamfer and flattening the end.  The forming process leaves the end uneven and it didn't want to start straight into the bushing.  Didn't instill a lot of confidence in MOOG but it is what it is.  Some of the parts were really nice and a couple looked like they were chewed on by a beaver before they boxed them up.  Installed per that picture and so far so good.  Alignment comes after I have the broken transmission rebuilt.