Main Menu

Correct leaf springs?

Started by culp71, August 03, 2018, 05:21:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

Just recieved new leaf springs from jegs they dont match please clarify details if correct or not 1 leaf part mopar p4452985 has 3 clamps and bottom leaf pointed to the rear. The other part p4452984 has 2 clamps and bottom leaf faces forward both dont match leaf lenghts or clamp positions.  Is it correct to have different side to side?

RUNCHARGER

Yes that's normal for XHD springs. The one with the half leaf pointing forward goes on the right side, the one with the half leaf pointing rearward goes on the left side. The factory built them this way to reduce torque steer.
Sheldon

culp71

Ok so not a good idea to add a thrid clamp to the one currently with 2? Also each leaf in the stack are different lenght is that normal too? They look so weird side by side. The stock ones i have match each other identically.....but they are 5 leaf these new ones are 6 leaf.

RUNCHARGER

I would add the clamp after driving it as-is. There probably won't be much difference. The standard HD springs are the same side to side but when you step up to the XHD they change.
Sheldon

culp71

alright thanks, so I disassembled them completely, blasted, painted, reassembled parts just as they came, I did not add a clamp, as seems to be agreed that they are difference in appearance from side to side. and will not match or be a mirror image of each other. thanks you. ill test drive in a few days and see how it handles.

culp71

after the long winter, I was able to figured out my few concerns with my restored cuda.
These new JEGS, mopar XHD leaf springs where a big part.
when I restored the cuda I used the original 5 leaf springs, just rebuilt them... I thought it rode and handled just fine, but that was until I put these XHD 6 leaf springs in that I noticed a huge difference,
improved all aspects.
It drives, handles, and feels completely different now. big improvement on all accounts.