Main Menu

Crush can gap - is 1/4” correct?

Started by Dakota, July 11, 2020, 01:16:48 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I'm looking for confirmation that I've got my crush cam oriented correctly on the splines for the steering column.  I've got roughly a 1/4" gap between the can and the column.  I'd like to think that I had the splines lined up right but thought it best to check with the wizards here before I go any further. 

Thanks. 

JS29

I measured mine at 1/8th of an inch on one car and 3/16" on another. Hope that helps.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

:iagree: With Sheldon..... 3/16 wouldn't bother me but 1/8 seems tight...

Dakota

Thanks guys.  I'm going to use some painter's tape to mark the current position of the can in the column, then pull it off and see if I line it up again in the same spot with the same gap.  I think it's good where it is bit it's not much extra work to make sure. 

RUNCHARGER

It should only go on one way without supreme force.
Sheldon

Dakota

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 11, 2020, 07:29:05 PM
It should only go on one way without supreme force.

I really hate being an idiot.   :pullinghair:

Pulled the can. I don't remember forcing it but it was definitely in the wrong spot by 2-3 teeth.  It doesn't sound like a lot except the marks I made on tape on the crush can and column were separated by about an inch after getting the can installed correctly.  That would've royally sucked to have the steering wheel in the wrong place. 

Gap is at 3-16" now.

dodj

Not sure how you could be off 2 or 3 teeth, without REALLY forcing it and shearing off a tooth or two?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill