Main Menu

Ridetech Shockwave - Front

Started by dave73, August 28, 2019, 08:35:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I was over on on moparts and read about a few a-body guys running ridetech shockwave hq series shocks on the front of their rides. Apparently the torsion bars stay in place but they are cranked down as low as they can go while still maintaining the smallest amount of tension to hold up the body. The shockwave's allow adjust-ability in the front without placing all of the weight on the shock mounts that weren't designed to hold the weight of the car. They sell UCA's that work with the shocks for clearance and said they may be able to clear the hotchkis UCA's. Seems like an interesting concept, wondering if anybody is running them on an e-body.

Cuda Cody

Seems like a neat idea.  Any photos of the A-Bodies running it?

dave73

Pics below are a b-body setup I found

dave73

From those pictures of the k frame setup, seems like the inner bracing of the hotchkis uca's may become a clearance issue.

ClarkWGrizwald

Quote from: dave73 on August 28, 2019, 12:12:09 PM
From those pictures of the k frame setup, seems like the inner bracing of the hotchkis uca's may become a clearance issue.
I think its just the fact that it's all loose on the table. The shocks will tilt in much more.  Question is, how well does it ride????

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

HP2

Shockwaves are an air spring and shock combination. They are, in essence, a coil over with an air spring instead of a coil spring. They do indeed put suspension loads into the shock tower, even if you leave torsion bars in place and especially if you take all the load off the t-bar. This arrangement is giving you the negatives of both worlds; extra weight, unintended loading.

They do allow in cab ride weight and spring rate adjustments.  If used in place of t-bars, do not have as large a weight penalty.  their adjustability means you do not need to buy different springs to adjust rate, so they save you money if you need different rates for different applications. However, I suspect most guys buy these just to slam their cars to the ground yet have decent ride height to/from the show.

dave73

Quote from: HP2 on August 29, 2019, 09:42:05 AM
Shockwaves are an air spring and shock combination. They are, in essence, a coil over with an air spring instead of a coil spring. They do indeed put suspension loads into the shock tower, even if you leave torsion bars in place and especially if you take all the load off the t-bar. This arrangement is giving you the negatives of both worlds; extra weight, unintended loading.

They do allow in cab ride weight and spring rate adjustments.  If used in place of t-bars, do not have as large a weight penalty.  their adjustability means you do not need to buy different springs to adjust rate, so they save you money if you need different rates for different applications. However, I suspect most guys buy these just to slam their cars to the ground yet have decent ride height to/from the show.

Yea I assume most people are using these to get over speed bumps while being to lower them at shows. Do you know how they ride?

Brads70

:iagree: with HP2  I can't see how it wouldn't impose loads where they shouldn't be :thumbdown:...... Ridetech makes great stuff though!

HP2

I've never ridden in a car with them. However,since you can adjust the spring rate of them, I'd imagine they can ride as soft or firm as you want. If you also get the remote control box and on-board compressor, you can adjust each corner independently or have preset programs  and make changes on the fly and hit preset conditions for rapid changes.

I recall reading an article on performance of these against a coil over car and the Shockwaves were comparable performance wise. Of course the reviews liked being able to change settings after the test and restore a comfortable ride.

Chryco Psycho

I fail to see the advantage over good T bars & shocks  :thinking:

JS29