Main Menu

Dana 60 wheel stud knurl size?

Started by GrandpaKevin, March 22, 2018, 06:22:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I test fitted some sticky tires that I might use at my local 1/8th mile drag strip this summer.

Since it's a 4 speed car I think I'm going to install some longer wheel studs just to be safe.

The rear is a Dana 60 with stock axles.

In searching I've found a couple Dana 60 wheel stud knurl sizes .665 and .685.

Anyone know the correct size?

Thanks.

anlauto

I bought these for stock 8 3/4 axles and they worked great. Dana 60 axles should be the same.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mrg-4311/overview/
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: anlauto on March 22, 2018, 06:36:05 PM
I bought these for stock 8 3/4 axles and they worked great. Dana 60 axles should be the same.
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mrg-4311/overview/

Thanks Alan, those were the .665 size studs I was looking at.
I think I'm going to give them a try.

Dakota

I know this is an old thread, but it might be worth tacking on this information.

I have stock drums and axles on the rear end of my 70 Challenger (489, 8-3/4").  How long are the stock wheel studs?   Blown Motor's recent post about removing wheel studs reminded me that I needed to check the length of mine. It turns out that I'm a little too close to the 1/2" of thread available for the 1/2" diameter stud to be comfortable long term.    I'm hoping to avoid pulling the drum to figure out what I have to order.

Thanks.

GreenOnions

I recently replaced the studs front and rear on my 70 Challenger, as the incumbents only gave 1/4-5/16" thread engagement with my new Year One Rallye wheels.  Use this as a single data point only, as I do not know the history of this once 6 cyl car, now fitted with a 741 8-3/4.  The studs I removed from the rear were 1.47" under head length.  These I replaced with Moser 8020 cut down to 2" under head. The front rotors are the 10.95" ones from Dr Diff, and the studs here were 1.6" under head, and were replaced with Moser 8010 cut down to 2.1" under head length.  So I ended up with about 3/4" of thread engagement.