Main Menu

does anyone recognize this front brake caliper mount?

Started by ClarkWGrizwald, April 06, 2020, 10:52:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ClarkWGrizwald

Looking to buy this used K-member and parts. Not sure which brake set up this is. can anyone tell by the aluminum mount?

also- does that look like a fast ratio pitman arm?

Thanks!

ClarkWGrizwald

for 3rd pic-- you want to look at the top right on the other kmember

Chryco Psycho

Sorry I am not familiar with the brake bracket or hubs , not sure on the fast ratio pitman either , in 1 picture it looks straight between the idler & pitman , the the other it could be longer

Brads70

Not sure but might be first gen Viper caliper kit from DrDiff  or AR Engineering?  Can you measure the center to center of the caliper bracket holes? Are they 3.937" or 100MM ?  The fast ratio arms usually say so on the casting? Just on the pitman arm. Looks like some nice stuff though! How much is the seller asking if you don't mind me asking?

jordan

I will not guarantee this, but it looks like a XV Motorsports Level 1 kit.  The brake mounts look like mine, so I am assuming that it takes the XV Level 1 brake kit which would include a set of PBR brake calipers that would have come stock on a early 2000s (?) performance Mustang.   I had issues with my caliper bolts backing out with hard driving.  I safety wired mine and have zero issues since. This looks like a great set up.  Very similar to mine and I love it.  Make sure you get some big torsion bars to match what you have here.  Good luck getting it.
"Don't brake until you see God!"

jordan

As I keep looking at pictures, I see the torsion bars on the pallet.  I also see the swar bar mount, but no sway bar.  Lots of bars out there, but if you get the Hotchkis one, it will match the rest of the system.   

autoxcuda

Pics # 1, 2, and 4.  (pic 3 is another setup)

Those are fast ratio arms.  The Idler is stock C-body that is longer than E/B-body

Hotchkis: Upper Control Arms w/spherical joints & bump steer improver bracket, Tie Rod Adjusters w/spherical joints, strut rods w/spherical joint,

**Note spherical rods ends wear much faster that stock lubed ones. I do see dust shields tied to UCA bracket. Mine all got loose with 10K miles. So factor in replacing them all. If you don't have to, you gambled and won**

Hotchkis: Sway Bar

QA1: Front Shocks single adjustable (don't see 2nd adj knob), Rear non adjustable (don't see any knob)

The hubs are stock rotors machined down. Like others say, probably an early ARengineering Kit. You can email him and ask.

Steering Gear: 1976? or later with square hat top near adjuster nut.

Bottom line...

Factor about zero worth $$ for:  brake stuff. Missing: rotors, hats, calipers. It's obsolete with no easy to find replacement parts. You might be able to piece it back but you will spend hours of effort and research.

1/2 new $$ for non wear parts, 1/4 new $$ for wearable replacement parts (idler, pitman, ball joints, steering box, shocks), 1/8-0 new $$ for rod ends.

BTW
Pic #3:

Those are slider calipers with 10.75 rotors that many Mopar had after 1973.

QA1: Lower control arm, Upper Control arms,

Idler is standard length B/E-body. (Notice its length and contour compared to pics 1,2,&4)
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

ClarkWGrizwald

Thanks very much guys. I appreciate it!!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

jordan

That set up looks just like mine.  Those brake calipers are not hard to find.  PBR brakes were common on a lot of cars.  I have part numbers of the calipers and rotors if you decide to go for it.

ClarkWGrizwald

Jordan- Id say thats a match! Your setup looks so nice! are those 13" brakes?  Unfortunately the seller has been a flake and very poor at returning calls. Finally got him to call me and that unit with the hotchkis is sold. GRRRRR  the QA1 is still available tho. But he had to cut the call short due to a business call and said he would send me more pics of the qa12 stuff.... he still hasnt. I called again today and no answer. left another message.  Im probably just going to buy all new stuff.  I have be leaning towards the hotchkis setup anyway so I think i am just going to have to bite the bullet and buy new. Rarely do i ever see used good suspension stuff come up for sale.  Coming from the mustang world, there are so many parts available daily. Chrysler.... whole other ballgame!

Brads70

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on April 08, 2020, 03:57:58 PM
Jordan- Id say thats a match! Your setup looks so nice! are those 13" brakes?  Unfortunately the seller has been a flake and very poor at returning calls. Finally got him to call me and that unit with the hotchkis is sold. GRRRRR  the QA1 is still available tho. But he had to cut the call short due to a business call and said he would send me more pics of the qa12 stuff.... he still hasnt. I called again today and no answer. left another message.  Im probably just going to buy all new stuff.  I have be leaning towards the hotchkis setup anyway so I think i am just going to have to bite the bullet and buy new. Rarely do i ever see used good suspension stuff come up for sale.  Coming from the mustang world, there are so many parts available daily. Chrysler.... whole other ballgame!

Bummer that was a good deal.  :('

ClarkWGrizwald

He was asking $1000 for each kmember with their parts.  The hotchkis was a great deal. The qa1 setup looks to just me uppers and lowers and all else stock.  Plus brakes but those brakes are not worth anything to me since my 74 already has disc. I will upgrade to stockers but they will be 13 or 14" brakes.  I don't think its worth $1000 to me for just the uppers and lowers. Im trying to get in contact to see if he will sell the control arms by themselves.       Low expectations tho.

Brads70

Quote from: ClarkWGrizwald on April 08, 2020, 04:10:54 PM
He was asking $1000 for each kmember with their parts.  The hotchkis was a great deal. The qa1 setup looks to just me uppers and lowers and all else stock.  Plus brakes but those brakes are not worth anything to me since my 74 already has disc. I will upgrade to stockers but they will be 13 or 14" brakes.  I don't think its worth $1000 to me for just the uppers and lowers. Im trying to get in contact to see if he will sell the control arms by themselves.       Low expectations tho.

:iagree:  I don't see $1000 worth in the second set up.

jordan

@ClarkWGrizwald

My brakes are 12" or 12.5". Front and back.  I finally remember that they came off of a stock Mustang Cobra R.  I couldn't remember that for days.  I am not much of a Mustang guy.  They work excellent with my Hydroboost!

Too bad you didn't get it.  I have no complaints about mine.  Other than it doesn't steer and feed back like a E46 BMW.