Started by rftroy, April 15, 2017, 02:55:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on April 17, 2017, 07:35:43 AM
Quote from: rftroy on April 16, 2017, 05:39:51 PM
Quote from: 73440 on April 16, 2017, 06:39:10 AM

https://landrumspring.com/technical/leaf-spring-technical-information/

The quote is from the link article.
I don't know the answer just found this info.
This is interesting.  Thanks.  I'll have to do some math and see what the effect is.

Bob

It reduces rear steer induced oversteer.

When a longitude mounted spring goes into a corner, the outside compresses and in the inside retracts. This has the net effect of shortening the inside wheelbase and lengthening the outside wheelbase which in effect, turns the rear axle towards the outside of the turn which loosens the car. Mopar's low arch design minimizes this motion and when combined with a splayed mount, reduce the roll oversteer effect which makes the corner turn in more linear.

When I did tech for circle track cars , All the street stock leaf spring cars ( GM's) always wanted Mopar spring set ups.  ;)  I never let them.... :)

HP2

Yea, not surprised, but its funny you called them out and prevented them from doing that.

In my oval days, our tech  was the same way. I got around it and the whole stock mounting location thing by deliberately bending the main leaf so that acelleration torque would force the bend up into the the edge of the hanger and effectively take around 5" of spring out of the equation while radically changing the control ratio. When asked about it, I said it was the result of incidental contact and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it.

Brads70

Quote from: HP2 on April 18, 2017, 08:59:48 AM
Yea, not surprised, but its funny you called them out and prevented them from doing that.

In my oval days, our tech  was the same way. I got around it and the whole stock mounting location thing by deliberately bending the main leaf so that acelleration torque would force the bend up into the the edge of the hanger and effectively take around 5" of spring out of the equation while radically changing the control ratio. When asked about it, I said it was the result of incidental contact and I hadn't gotten around to fixing it.

Yep ,damaged in competition covers a multitude of sins!  :D  When I'd find something " questionable" I would often say " humm got bent in competition right?" Some of the more " thick" ones I'd have to repeat it 3-4 times before they got my drift.  :-[  Around here it's 99% Chevy's , they were quite alarmed when a competitor built a Dodge. Street stock  back then was for the most part "stock" parts, 2BBl carbs, .390/.410 valve lift  Mopar was a problem as they never had cams with such low lift., The Chevy crowd was fine with Mopars going by them on the straightaways as they usually got it back in the corners..... until the Mopar guys started figuring things out.The internet sure helped with that!  When headers came in I cautioned them to be careful what you wish for as a Chevy with headers would NOT be the same in a Dodge. But they ignored me. Then later whined/petitioned to add weight to a Dodge.  ::)
Now 3 years after I left racing street stocks are called "super stocks" and people are actually spending 50k on a car, :bigmoney:  how stupid is that!  :pullinghair:

Shoooter

On a complete side not I was able to order new rear leaf springs right from dodge for my 71 cuda. Pretty cheap in my eyes. 120 Canadian a side