Main Menu

E-body Suspension Overhaul and Upgrade Video Series

Started by 72hemi, January 26, 2022, 09:26:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72hemi

The last couple of months I have been putting together a series of videos on overhauling and upgrading the steering and suspension of my 72 Challenger (and still have a few more coming out). I detail which parts I chose and why and then go over the process of how to install them. Figured this would be good information for folks to have in one place. Future videos I am working on include installing the Borgeson steering box kit I got from Bergman Autocraft and then final drive to see how the car handles.

The first video I did was on the QA1 control arms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVT4fZKUfjo
Life's too short to drive boring cars

72hemi

72hemi

72hemi

72hemi

72hemi

Filthy Filbert

Cool.   I'll have to give them a watch as I'm getting ready to remove the front suspension and K frame from mine in preparation for sheet metal repairs. 

7212Mopar

John, not sure where you are on the install with the Borgeson steering. I had mine done over two years ago. At that time I also installed the roller bearing at the steering shaft coming out of the firewall. It replaces the factory plastic bearing. I think that makes the shaft support positively stable and sturdy, less play. The only flex left is at the coupler. I learned that from others over at CC.com. To do that, the pin at the end of the steering shaft needs to come off I order to slide in the bearing.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

gaddied

72hemi

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 26, 2022, 02:29:12 PM
John, not sure where you are on the install with the Borgeson steering. I had mine done over two years ago. At that time I also installed the roller bearing at the steering shaft coming out of the firewall. It replaces the factory plastic bearing. I think that makes the shaft support positively stable and sturdy, less play. The only flex left is at the coupler. I learned that from others over at CC.com. To do that, the pin at the end of the steering shaft needs to come off I order to slide in the bearing.

Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on doing the steering box install this weekend. I can't remember who offers the steering column roller bearing, can you provide me a link? Might be worth doing at this time.

7212Mopar

John:

I got it from Amazon and I pulled this from my order history. Incredible that they keep your order history for such a long time.

Timken ER16 Wide Inner Ring Ball Bearing, With Snap Ring, Double Sealed, Inch, 1" ID, 52 mm OD, 1-3/8" Width, Max RPM, 1760 lbs Static Load Capacity, 3490 lbs Dynamic Load Capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006KT10JA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For sure I did not paid the current price listed on Amazon. I think it was like $12 when I got it. Google around, it should not be $50 and widely available, just a small simple bearing. You might need to clean up the steering shaft for corrosion, loose paint etc and might need a good sanding. It is a tight fit. I needed to tap it in slowly when it get close to the collar of the outer steering column. Be careful not to collapse the steering shaft. I put some locktie at the set screw for the bearing.

We can compare notes the next time I see you after yours is done and driven.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

72hemi

Quote from: 7212Mopar on January 26, 2022, 03:39:17 PM
John:

I got it from Amazon and I pulled this from my order history. Incredible that they keep your order history for such a long time.

Timken ER16 Wide Inner Ring Ball Bearing, With Snap Ring, Double Sealed, Inch, 1" ID, 52 mm OD, 1-3/8" Width, Max RPM, 1760 lbs Static Load Capacity, 3490 lbs Dynamic Load Capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006KT10JA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For sure I did not paid the current price listed on Amazon. I think it was like $12 when I got it. Google around, it should not be $50 and widely available, just a small simple bearing. You might need to clean up the steering shaft for corrosion, loose paint etc and might need a good sanding. It is a tight fit. I needed to tap it in slowly when it get close to the collar of the outer steering column. Be careful not to collapse the steering shaft. I put some locktie at the set screw for the bearing.

We can compare notes the next time I see you after yours is done and driven.

Thanks! I will shop around.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thank you for the informative videos.   :clapping:  I've been considering installing tubular A-arms on my '70 'Cuda along with possibly power steering as the manual is getting to be a PITA.  Not as young as I was when I ordered my first Cuda in 1970 with manual steering.

Katfish