Main Menu

E-Body Tire Sizes (what fits, what's too big, what looks good)

Started by Timbbuc2, October 16, 2017, 08:16:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Ahhh, okay. I vaguely remember that.  It is a collection of member's combos. Not sure how long its been since it was updated.

So, Rikkitik is a member on here. He is actually using the stock E body axle housing on his combo, not a B body unit.  He has 15x10 with 6.5" of backspace and a .25" spacer to pull it that quarter inch off the springs side, so essentially a 6.25 back space net. Here is a reply with his combo: https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/mini-tub-and-spring-relocation-kit/28170/msg314026#msg314026

By way of contrast, I have springs moved in 1 inch, a 67 B body housing, 15x10 with 5" backspace and a 305 tire. I have approximately 1" from tire to the spring and 1" from the tire to the fender lip, and no spacers used anywhere.

Up front, there is  absolutely no way any 15" rim with more than 4.75" of back space will fit. This is because the lip of the wheel hits the upper ball joint once you get to the 5" backspace.  You have to move into 16, 17, or 18 inch wheels to get around that interference issue.

I am running 15x8 with 4.5" backspace and a 255 tire. At normal ride height, I had no interference issues. Since dropping it down 2.5-3", I have rolled the opening lip to avoid any issues at extreme lock and roll, although I doubt I'll have any roll issue causing interference with my bar combo.

Regarding the shocks, moving the springs in 3" to put them in the frame rails does not require any changes to shocks. It does make them more vertical, which slightly reduces their stroke and slightly improves their efficiency, but it also moves them further away from the tire which decreases their effectiveness.

Also, if you move the springs in 3" the next interference point will be the wheel wheel. So depending on how large you want to go, mini tubs may be required. This will gain an extra 1.5" or so before the frame rail becomes the  next interference point.   A low profile tire around 335 wide can fit in the stock, unmodified well, XV proved this. A taller, drag style tire will rub higher up in the well because of the its slight  taper against the body.

PsyOps

PsyOps

OK, I'm back with another question.  HP2, in the link you referred me to, you posted: I've seen several people fit 335 tires in the stock wells, so they can swallow a fairly wide tire. However, the backspace on the rims has to be spot on and the overall diameter could be a factor as well. If you wanted to go with a wide and tall sidewall tire like a drag tire, then you may have issues at the top of the well.  I've read somewhere, and can't find it now, that someone is running a Nitto 325-50/15 (27.83" dia, 13.23" sect) tire on 15x10s with a B-body (year not specified) rear end, Dr Diff 1" spring kit and ESPO+1 springs.  I would like to duplicate that set up without moving the springs into the frame rails or backhalfing the car.  Mini-tubs are fine.  What do you think?

Swamp Donkey

Quote from: PsyOps on March 31, 2024, 02:39:01 AMOK, I'm back with another question.  HP2, in the link you referred me to, you posted: I've seen several people fit 335 tires in the stock wells, so they can swallow a fairly wide tire. However, the backspace on the rims has to be spot on and the overall diameter could be a factor as well. If you wanted to go with a wide and tall sidewall tire like a drag tire, then you may have issues at the top of the well.  I've read somewhere, and can't find it now, that someone is running a Nitto 325-50/15 (27.83" dia, 13.23" sect) tire on 15x10s with a B-body (year not specified) rear end, Dr Diff 1" spring kit and ESPO+1 springs.  I would like to duplicate that set up without moving the springs into the frame rails or backhalfing the car.  Mini-tubs are fine.  What do you think?

I should be able to answer some of your questions too.  I'm putting a 305/35r20 tire on an 11" rim in my stock wheel wells. It will be tight from my preliminary measurements.  Mods are  a 1" Dr diff relocation kit, a Dana 60 built to early B-body width, trimmed inner fender lip when doing the bodywork.  With the way I have everything set up, I ordered rims with a 5.75 inch backspace.  It will be close to the leaf springs, but I do not foresee any tire deflection at all.
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

PsyOps

I should be able to answer some of your questions too.  I'm putting a 305/35r20 tire on an 11" rim in my stock wheel wells. It will be tight from my preliminary measurements.  Mods are  a 1" Dr diff relocation kit, a Dana 60 built to early B-body width, trimmed inner fender lip when doing the bodywork.  With the way I have everything set up, I ordered rims with a 5.75 inch backspace.  It will be close to the leaf springs, but I do not foresee any tire deflection at all.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response 'Donkey.  What is the cross section width of your 305 tire (I could look it up but I'm too lazy tonight)?