Main Menu

E Brake Cables and Frame Connectors-RESULT

Started by anlauto, October 20, 2017, 02:25:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Okay....How did you guys deal with this ? Pictures ?

@RUNCHARGER that FJ5 car had frame connectors, what did you do ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

Solid frame connectors that are welded to the floor have to have an "access" route for the cable.  If you do the ones that have a gap then the cable should be able to run above it. 

Cuda Cody

I drilled the drain holes after they were welded in and about took my arm off when the drill would catch.  Drill them first on a drill press before you weld them on.  You can make the frame connectors look very stock.

anlauto

Okay, thank Cody, yours look amazing.....
However it's a little too late for the car I'm working on....The frame connectors are there with no provisions for the E Brake cable and they cover-up the pass through holes for both the fuel line and brake line at the transmission crossmember... :steamingmad: :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Brads70

I did the same thing as Cody, slit a tube and welded it in before the connectors were welded in. Sorry no pictures....

anlauto

Wonder if I could drill/cut two ovals and get a tube in there now ?

Cuda Cody

Might have to drill some holes to get it to work.  You can touch of the paint after and it will be fine.  I would rather have an E-Brake then perfect paint on the bottom of my car.   :alan2cents:

anlauto

No issue there, the car is NOT painted yet.... :twothumbsup:

BFM_Cuda

I mapped out my cables like Cody did, (mines a 71') and then drilled holes to let the driver side cable and passenger side hook to go through. I plan to add a rubber grommet to the holes so the cable wont rub or make noise if it vibrates on it. I am expecting I may have to lengthen or shorten the middle cable, depending on how it sits once its all in place.

dodj

Quote from: Roadman on October 20, 2017, 03:45:33 PM
Why not eliminate the pedal assembly and cables.    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esc-esk001/overview/
How does Toxic like them after having used them for a while?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Roadman

Quote from: dodj on October 20, 2017, 04:14:32 PM
Quote from: Roadman on October 20, 2017, 03:45:33 PM
Why not eliminate the pedal assembly and cables.    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/esc-esk001/overview/
How does Toxic like them after having used them for a while?

Last we talked, all good. But lets see if we can get him off his but to chime in @ToxicWolf .

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on October 20, 2017, 02:41:53 PM
Wonder if I could drill/cut two ovals and get a tube in there now ?
If it's already welded in the car I don't see how your going to weld it in, just the sides would be accessible. If you don't weld it all around it weakens the connector and kinda defeats the purpose?
If your think  of welding in a complete round tube  by drilling in 2 holes from the sides I'm not sure if that would work? I can't remember how big the end you need to fish through is?   For what it cost in material not a big job for your metal guy to cut it off and make new ones. Drilling and Welding tubing in significantly makes it stronger with little weight gain....... :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

I was late to the party too and it wasn't that great. I was going to drill holes but I ended up taking a grinder and cutting slots into the dang things as I didn't want any chance of being off a fraction with a drill and having the cables rub. If I had done it from scratch I would have welded a brake tube in for the cable to run through.
If I was doing that car again I would have cut the suckers out and primed the belly the way it should have been done to start with.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on October 20, 2017, 05:33:37 PM
I was late to the party too and it wasn't that great. I was going to drill holes but I ended up taking a grinder and cutting slots into the dang things as I didn't want any chance of being off a fraction with a drill and having the cables rub. If I had done it from scratch I would have welded a brake tube in for the cable to run through.
If I was doing that car again I would have cut the suckers out and primed the belly the way it should have been done to start with.

Two slots would be the simple way to go I guess.....I'm all for taking the ugly things out, but I doubt the owner would be crazy about that idea... :pullinghair: