Main Menu

Factory Front sway bar bushing

Started by fast_phish, September 17, 2023, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fast_phish

My apologies if this has been addressed before (I couldn't find it)... Is it possible (and if so how), and is it worth the effort, to remove and re-use the original front sway bar bushings? I've got the front end disassembled, and was thinking of powder coating some of the parts including the front sway bar when I realized that the factory original sway bar bushing doesn't have a "slice" in it like the aftermarket parts - making it a little harder to remove.  I don't think I can have the bar powder coated with the bushing on the bar, but I'm reluctant to remove it (It is still flexible and nice and tight on on the bar). What's the best option here?  Thanks!

Dakota

Powder coating involves heating parts to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit so the bushings won't like that much. 

You might try warming up the existing bushings with a heat gun to make them more flexible to aid in removal ahead of powder coating.

There are plenty of aftermarket bushings available... you just need to match up the size correctly.  The replacement ones I've seen are sized according to the metric system, so you to need to convert your sway bar diameter to millimeters. 

My nickel's worth of advice is to replace with new.