Main Menu

Firm Feel Power Steering Box

Started by Cdnchallenger, March 05, 2019, 12:24:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cdnchallenger

I am looking at getting a Firm Feel Steering Box for my 70 challenger.
Can I get thoughts/opinions on the correct stage (1,2 or 3) that I should be considering.

Thanks in advance.  :cheers:

Steve

dodj

Stage three. Steer 'n' Gear.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Bossgold

I just posted this request a week or so ago.  If you talk to Firm feel they say that stage two is more popular than stage three. If you talk to people in the hobby most will vote for stage three. Its hard to get a good explanation of the firmness until you yourself drive the car. I know its a pain w/o Power steering when parking. And I know it makes me uncomfortable driving over 60 MPH with sensitive steering. So I decided to go with Stage 3 because I would rather have it tight then not enough at high speeds.....besides I doubt I will be parking in tight spaces with my AAR.

ledphoot

I actually had a bad experience with the firm feel stage 3 box, it had a bad bearing causing play at the pitman arm.. Because I had purchased it several years ago and it sat installed in the car with zero miles I was SOL on having them warranty the box with zero miles on it. I switched to a borgeson in the Challenger it was much better than stock.. I put one in the Cuda as well. If you go down this path get an up to date borgeson box from Bergman with his coupler, makes the install pretty straight forward and the fit is excellent. I have heard issues of early adaptations being problematic requiring shims / different couplers. Bergman is the man for Borgeson on mopars.

http://bergmanautocraft.com/contact.php

Brads70

Stage 3 in mine with no regrets.  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Another vote for stage 3... But I went with Steer n Gear... they were closer...... NO ISSUES NO REGRETS

jimynick

Stage 3 for me, too. The car drives fine and parking it is not an issue.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GCragtop

303 Mopar

djw383

Stage 2 and very happy compared to 1, however I have not driven a Stage 3 to note any difference.

Ric

jimynick

Quote from: Brads70 on March 05, 2019, 01:33:29 PM
Stage 3 in mine with no regrets.  :alan2cents:
:iagree: Yep, what the man said. there is NO issue parking the car, either.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Ed

Does either vendor supply a box that looks stock?   Many years ago I got one and it came painted black

303 Mopar

Quote from: Ed on August 15, 2019, 09:19:51 PM
Does either vendor supply a box that looks stock?   Many years ago I got one and it came painted black

FirmFeel's is just a rebuilt stock box.  Borgeson is not anywhere close to a stock box.

js27

Had stage 2 on my 67 GTX and on my 70 R/T. Made a big difference over stock and loved the feel.
I also went with Steer and Gear.
JS27