Main Menu

Front disk wheel bearings and brake sheild seal? Any factory type brake upgrades

Started by FSHTAIL, April 06, 2020, 04:18:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I ordered some new brake backing Shield plates because the stock ones I had were all crusty and bent the crap, but when I unbolted it from the spindle, I noticed there was some kind of a foam seal underneath that, I was all over RockAuto and could not find one, are there any recommendations on where to find these? Also I need to get new wheel bearings and was wondering if anybody knows of a front disc pull replacement that has bearings in a kit or?

Another thought was are there any rotors that would be larger diameter and there be any caliper or caliper adapters that would facilitate larger rotors but would still work with the master cylinder I have?

I searched around for a little while and didn't really find anything that gave me a solid answer.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

RCman

Factory Mopar or just some factory?
Dr. Diff has some great kits that uses some Mopar stuff in 10.95" rotors and then larger stuff Mustang and/or Corvette parts depending on what wheel size you have.
https://www.doctordiff.com/brakes/front/

Rich G.

RUNCHARGER

I second Dr. Diff for disc brake upgrades using hardier than aftermarket, OEM style parts.
Sheldon

Katfish

Most people don't bother with the foam gaskets, apply some RTV and call it good.

76orangewagon

You can do it correctly and buy the foam gaskets from DMT for a couple bucks.

RUNCHARGER

If the car isn't stock I leave those dust shields off, more air to cool the rotors.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

You can use the 11.75 Cordoba rotors , I believe Dr Diff has the caliper adapters & you use the same calipers You must have 15 " wheels to clear the 11.75 rotors  .
Do you know what spindles you have , 70 used a smaller inner brg , later years used a larger inner brg ?
you could cut your own foam seals , no one will see them
I have converted many cars using F.M,J spindles , Aspen ,Volare , 5th ave , Mirada etc & used the 76-79 Cordoba caliper mounts & rotors

FSHTAIL

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 06, 2020, 11:36:28 AM
You can use the 11.75 Cordoba rotors , I believe Dr Diff has the caliper adapters & you use the same calipers You must have 15 " wheels to clear the 11.75 rotors  .
Do you know what spindles you have , 70 used a smaller inner brg , later years used a larger inner brg ?
you could cut your own foam seals , no one will see them
I have converted many cars using F.M,J spindles , Aspen ,Volare , 5th ave , Mirada etc & used the 76-79 Cordoba caliper mounts & rotors

I have 15" wheels
I have a 73 Cuda.   These are the calipers.     

It would be sweet if all I had to do was swap rotors and buy an adapter with some brake lines..     

Rotors are pretty crusty on the hub.   
They measure 11"
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Chryco Psycho

the adapters for the calipers can be tough to locate , but I believe Cass @ Dr Diff is making them now