Main Menu

Great Video on Brake Failure

Started by anlauto, July 10, 2022, 06:49:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

I just watched the whole video, really put together well in my opinion, and maybe some lessons to be learned for those of us monkeying around with aftermarket parts... :worship:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MKA

Damn that was painful to watch

my first thought was omg listen to him talking about his life work and not wanting to hit a brick wall and then that happens.   Then his head hitting the metal dash.  talk about lucky not to be a basket case.

My second thought was why did that just play out like one of those air disaster documentaries.  Pilot, throttle is sticking a little, nothing to worry about.  Co pilot, can you smell that?  Pilot,  Yea just me riding the brakes and overheating them since the gas is sticking.  no problem here.    Ahhh ohhh nooo. Crash.   One wanted a show, the other wanted to be on the show, and boy did they both get what they wanted.  Thankful it wasn't worse.  You could hear the engine pushing the car as they crashed. 

My 3 big fears, engine fire, brake failure, steering failure. Aways a good time to check that your emergency  brake works, be ready to down shift, not throw it in park, and rip the steering wheel sideways as regardless a side blow is always better than a frontal impact and the motion will slow the impact    Always wondered why those people in runaway Toyotas didn't just downshift and blow the engine or transmission.

Easy to say of course when your not in a panic moment but hence having a plan and a little practice in a empty parking lot.   I will never forget my first brake failure as a teenager, the seal on the rear wheel brake broke shooting the brake fluid out.   As the pedal went to the floor the brakes actually locked and as I steered left and right to avoid the car in front of me, in my panic , I couldn't get my leg to lift off the brake to unlock the brakes and allow the car to steer.   Crashed at about 5 miles an hour.  Ego dented.  After that moment, I practiced brake failure, emergency brake or gas and steer.  like riding a jet ski or a boat which have no brakes, gas and steering out of it or into something  less
My second failure was when I had a backfire throw my secondaries open on the carburetor while driving thru a mall parking lot, started ripping the tires as i drove past people with shopping bags at WOT, shifted to neutral and turned the key off.  Ego still dented, but no one hurt.  Yes something wasn't connected properly on the carb. I was 17.  Something was always broken

Dmod1974

Quote from: MKA on July 10, 2022, 12:04:57 PM
Damn that was painful to watch

my first thought was omg listen to him talking about his life work and not wanting to hit a brick wall and then that happens.   Then his head hitting the metal dash.  talk about lucky not to be a basket case.

My second thought was why did that just play out like one of those air disaster documentaries.  Pilot, throttle is sticking a little, nothing to worry about.  Co pilot, can you smell that?  Pilot,  Yea just me riding the brakes and overheating them since the gas is sticking.  no problem here.    Ahhh ohhh nooo. Crash.   One wanted a show, the other wanted to be on the show, and boy did they both get what they wanted.  Thankful it wasn't worse.  You could hear the engine pushing the car as they crashed. 

My 3 big fears, engine fire, brake failure, steering failure. Aways a good time to check that your emergency  brake works, be ready to down shift, not throw it in park, and rip the steering wheel sideways as regardless a side blow is always better than a frontal impact and the motion will slow the impact    Always wondered why those people in runaway Toyotas didn't just downshift and blow the engine or transmission.

Easy to say of course when your not in a panic moment but hence having a plan and a little practice in a empty parking lot.   I will never forget my first brake failure as a teenager, the seal on the rear wheel brake broke shooting the brake fluid out.   As the pedal went to the floor the brakes actually locked and as I steered left and right to avoid the car in front of me, in my panic , I couldn't get my leg to lift off the brake to unlock the brakes and allow the car to steer.   Crashed at about 5 miles an hour.  Ego dented.  After that moment, I practiced brake failure, emergency brake or gas and steer.  like riding a jet ski or a boat which have no brakes, gas and steering out of it or into something  less
My second failure was when I had a backfire throw my secondaries open on the carburetor while driving thru a mall parking lot, started ripping the tires as i drove past people with shopping bags, shifted to neutral and turned the key off.  Ego still dented, but no one hurt.  Yes something wasn't connected properly on the carb. I was 17.  Something was always broken

Agree 100%! My first thought was why on earth would 2 people who know better would operate a 1300HP car with a sticking throttle issue!  A 65HP car is potentially dangerous with that problem, let alone a 2 ton rocket that generates more engine torque than brake torque.

anlauto

This happened due to a sticky throttle linkage... :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Marty

Saw that last night. Cringe-worthy video.  :o

Cudajason

wow hell of a video.  lots to learn from it.

Makes me a little nervous as I am just warping up my hydroboost brake set up.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Ifixmycarmyself

Quote from: anlauto on July 10, 2022, 06:49:57 AM
I just watched the whole video, really put together well in my opinion, and maybe some lessons to be learned for those of us monkeying around with aftermarket parts... :worship:

I agree with you on the aftermarket parts and the situation is somewhat unclear. In US you have a manufacturers responsibility and in Europe we have the approval system. Aftermarket parts has a somewhat lower requirement than OEM on several areas, brake fading is one. But there is also aftermarket parts which are not approved at all, even though they look more high performance, it might not be the case. But also OEM parts has limitation and in this extreme situation it would not have made any difference, maybe. The brake fluid is important in the fading issue and brake fluid is automatically contracting moisture, we should aim for less than 3% of water and replace fluid after some years. Risk for fading or steaming is higher with increased water %.

Dakota

Just watched an interesting theory provided through a recent post by "Uncle Tony's Garage" about why the brakes failed.   Short version:  change your brake fluid regularly to avoid water contamination. 

Oh, and don't keep driving if the throttle on your bazillion horsepower motor is sticking. 

It's rare to have the violence of a collision captured as it was in the video posted at the start of this thread.   It's still making me shudder. 

https://youtu.be/Z-FqKRHnEBE

anlauto

I found this the other day....Tony puts the first video I posted in a whole new perspective, I hope the occupants of the mini van watch this video

MoparLeo

Throttle can't stick open if you don't try to impress someone on a city street. Do it on the track or in a field. Very immature move and no plan.
I don't blame parts, I blame installers.
Parts rarely fail because they are bad. Usually they are installed improperly, installed on the incorrect application that it was not tested and designed for. Check your brakes on a lift not on the street.
Only thing positive about this video is that if there wasn't a vehicle for him to hit  :stop: when he did, he would have just gained more speed and probably killed someone next. I hope it wasn't insured, the bill should take care of him for a while.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

70rag383

It's a disturbing video. I'm not sure what the owner was thinking taking that car on the street when he knows the throttle linkage is sticking and heating up his brakes to the point of failure. Why would you take the chance with a mega-horsepower car? 

torredcuda

We all make mistakes, do dumb things or don`t listen to that little voice in our head and sh!t happens but with this one the list is long. Taking a 1300HP car out on the street in traffic with a sticking throttle, only lap belts, smelling burning brakes and then ignoring the issues was just wrong. Big money biuld but neglecting to make sure important systems are working properly BEFORE taking it out on the street for a video shoot?  :thumbdown: Hopefully lesson learned.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

7212Mopar

He spent all the money on the engine and ran out of money to upgrade the brakes. I am more concerned about the people in the car they hit. Video did not talk about that.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket