Main Menu

hotchkis leaf springs too low, anybody use adjustable hangers?

Started by 72restocuda, November 29, 2022, 07:33:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

72restocuda

As the title suggests surprise surprise the hotchkis springs sit low, so instead of getting ESPO stock springs anybody try elevating their hotchkis with adjustable front and rear perches? I figure another inch would probably reduce pothole anxiety, thanks
-Steve

Chryco Psycho

The reason for this is the flatter the leaf spring is the better the car will handle in corners .
A different front mount with the front eye bolt lower in the chassis will help raise the body .

72restocuda

that's what I was thinking the same thing - I've seen Dr.Diffs site and it looks like he has one that raises it 1.4inches - that might improve things

MoparCarGuy

I have had adjustable front spring eye hangers on my Cuda for almost 40 years. They will solve your height issue for sure. Mine have four holes versus two. I have factory, original AAR-T/A springs and they have never lost their arch.

72restocuda

That's great, I think I'll look for something like those
-Steve

dodj

Pretty easy to make. I made some years ago for playing with rear height. They are great for deciding if you like it up in the air or down low for better handling.

Got rid of them when I went to offset rear hangers to fit the 315's.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Tony Monty

Any luck finding adjustable hangers for the leafs?   I'm about an inch too low in the rear with the Hotchkis springs.   I am going to give Dr Diff a call to see what they say. From the description on their website it's unclear to me if they lower or raise the ride height. 

https://www.doctordiff.com/replacement-leaf-spring-hangers.html

Mancini hangers lower the ride height 1.5".   

anlauto

They look like they would only lower the leaf...may raise it slightly, but by how much is the question. Do you have stock front hangers now ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

So what is too low for you guys?  What is the height of the top of the rear wheel well.

Just curious, as I am looking at the hotchkis leafs.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

340Challman

Quote from: Cudajason on December 13, 2022, 07:11:31 PM
So what is too low for you guys?  What is the height of the top of the rear wheel well.

Jason

I'm curious as well. Unfortunately I can't measure mine since it is just a shell at this point.  :popcorn:
Kevin

Racer57

Anyone seen where the ones that raise the body is listed ? All I can find is stock.

70vert

I don't have Hotchkis springs, just Mopar HD, but it does sit pretty low. The wheel well lip is 24 1/2 inches off the pavement. I love the look it currently has but it does sometimes rub going over a "big" speed bump and/or if I have 4 people in the car.

I got some adjustable hangers but the only lower the springs, not raise them. The bracket shown with 4 adjustments looks interesting, and useful. I've never seen that available anywhere?? I'm sure my springs are weakend due to age and I've thought of getting new ones but as mentioned I like the look so wouldn't want them any higher (but my adjustable bracket could drop it back down about an inch I think).

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on December 13, 2022, 07:11:31 PM

Jason
I don't own the hotchkis leafs, but pretty sure they will be flat when installed. So look at your existing leaf's arch. If it has an inch of arc, the Hotchkis leafs will probably drop it an inch. Plus, I don't remember for sure but I think they have a 'berlin' eye at either end instead of production line std?

Like 70vert, I have Mopar XHD. Mine are perfectly flat, so for me...that's perfect.

If you don't want a low sitting ebody...hotchkis leafs are a poor choice.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

340Challman

Does anyone have pictures from the side of their car riding on the Hotchkis leafs? My leafs are flat so I'm wondering if their leafs would leave my car sitting at the same height it currently is.
Kevin

torredcuda

I had factory sed springs from a 383 car on mine for years and thought they must have sagged because I thought it sat a bit low. I replaced them last year with a new set of Mopar heavy duty springs and to my surprise it sat at almost exactly the same height. I didn`t go with Hotchkiss as I didn`t want to sit any lower than it is.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/