Main Menu

Hotchkis suspension

Started by booyaballer, February 18, 2017, 10:03:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

I'll definitely be avoiding heims then.   I expect my parts to last for MUCH longer than 2 or 3 oil changes.

autoxcuda

Quote from: Brads70 on March 12, 2017, 10:31:47 AM
Maybe the lube is causing accelerated wear, thinking the dirt/dust sticks to it?
When mine need replacing I'll likely go with these...
http://www.qa1.net/rod-ends-and-related/rod-ends/endura-series/am-series-aluminum
I'm using them now on the strut rod assembly's I made. Very common in circle track cars around here.
About 8 years now with no issues. I put on 3-4 thousand miles a year at least.

The lube is just a tad thicker than the WD40 junk. And I wipe all around the joint after I spray them.

Similar at tracks here. We used the standard heim stuff in places that wouldn't last a half a season at best with crashes. In the series we run that is not as aggressive (less crashes) we found the standard stuff to wear much quicker.

We use the Howe greasable uppers, lowers, tie rods, and centerlink. Then Joe's (or similar) UCA's that have about 1" wide plain cylindrical bushings that are geasable.

Our chassis builder told me to buy the more expensive ends to get them to last longer.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 12, 2017, 10:46:31 AM
I'll definitely be avoiding heims then.   I expect my parts to last for MUCH longer than 2 or 3 oil changes.

For a huge majority of the cars here, they would last 2-3 years at 8500mi/set.

That's not bad in my book, certainly not for something that is considered a "race part". Quality of heim plays a huge factor and so does their exposure to dirt/dust. I would not be surprised if they lasted another 50% longer if not exposed to dirt, dust, brake dust, etc. That is what is doing the wear on the joint.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

cataclysm80

8500 miles does sound fine for a race car, that would be a lot of laps around the track, but this might be a good example of when a race part isn't durable enough for street use.
It sounds like someone looking to upgrade their suspension on a street driven car should avoid heims do to their short lifespan.
Does that sound correct?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: cataclysm80 on March 12, 2017, 05:39:49 PM
8500 miles does sound fine for a race car, that would be a lot of laps around the track, but this might be a good example of when a race part isn't durable enough for street use.
It sounds like someone looking to upgrade their suspension on a street driven car should avoid heims do to their short lifespan.
Does that sound correct?

It's all in what you are looking for. If you want to set it and forget it, you do not want rod ends. There are pros and cons to all options.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

rhamson

:iagree: The dust boots are very annoying as is the adjustment of the UCA as you have to disconnect them to adjust. I hope I have more longevity than 8500 miles.

dave73

I have pretty much the full tvs kit minus the subframe connectors and I'm using qa1 strut rods. As many have said, the ride is subjective. My rear squats low but that's what I wanted. It rides a heck of a lot better than stock, that's for sure.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Brads70 on February 19, 2017, 01:49:58 AM
I'm using their sway bars and upper control arms. Good quality stuff, no complaints.  I've read that their rear leaf springs make the rear end sit pretty low? I don't like how their subframe connectors hang so low.
You will notice a big improvement in handling though over the stock parts.

If OP, or anyone, wants any "how to make it handle" adivice ... hit up @Brads70 .

He took me for a ride in his and we took a corner at a speed I wouldn't have attempted in our z51 equipped vette ...  :stayinlane:l

Pentastarnut

after watching the Hotchkis Challenger in autocross action, i decided on using their complete set up. torsion bars, fox shocks, all of it. the frame connectors do hang very low but i like how you can see them. the stance of the car is just awesome, but that's the look and feel i'm going for. i am not finished my Cuda, i am expecting it to ride like a new SRT Challenger and handle better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvnRmtsQJM8

dave73

Cool! After I installed my suspension components, it sat so low I had to have my driveway regraded to get it onto the street...woops

Mickm

I have installed the complete TVS setup in my RedFish and did not realize any drooping as mentioned. Actually, I had to install a 2" lowering block to get the car to sit where I wanted it to. Understand, I have not driven it yet so my end evaluation is not completed.

As for the heim ends, I am going to give them a chance. I have never been a fan of them for street platforms but....

Here's what it looks like with the Hotchkis system on.

Hope this helps,
Mickm

cudaragtop

If you don't mind putting a tape on the wheel lips to the ground. What is the height from floor to center of wheel opening front and rear?
Looks like a little rake to it but with the different size wheels it could make it look more than it is?

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Mickm

Cudaragtop,
Front is 23" rear is 25 1/2".  Dimensions are from lower edge of fender trim lip to floor thru center of wheel.
cheers,
Mickm

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Cuda Cody

That's one of the best stances I've seen!